Great. Thank you too. Now I even have more good ideas.I liked Vivaldi boards so much that I converted my quilt boxes to Vivaldi boards. The conversion was simple. I cut 1/2 thick plywood to fit inside the box, set shims on the table to hold the plywood up, placed the box, inserted the plywood, and then pocket screwed the plywood insert in place. Instant Vivaldi. I also made some Vivaldi boards from scratch, made the same way.
My Vivaldi boards that are converted from quilts are four inches deep. That is just a little bit too shallow. The ones I purpose built are 5-1/2" deep, the width of a 2x6.
The Vivaldi board is so named for the composer's most known work, "The four seasons." A Vivaldi board can be left on the hive year round and take the place of the inner cover. If you use it all four seasons then it isn't really an extra piece of equipment. One of the summer time advantages of a Vivaldi is that it serves as a ventilated buffer between the sunshine and the hot hive cover and the hive chamber, helping keep the hive chamber cooler.
Or you can use your inner cover as the floor of your Vavaldi board and simply add a shallow super with vents. That is basically a two piece Vivaldi board. You could screw the inner cover to the the shallow super for permanent four seasons use.
My Vivaldis are modified. Mine have 2" XPS foam perimeter with an 8x8 central cutout filled by a screened box that is 2" high. I can fill that space with granulated sugar for emergency feeding. In the summer I flip the box over to block the bees from coming up through the hole. In the winter I place folded burlap over the screened box. I buy a yard and a half of 46" batt burlap, fold it in half twice by width and then in half twice by length and it goes over the screen.
Somewhere I have a picture posted (I miss the old forum photo library) I'll try and find it and add the link.
Edit, found it. Here is the photo of my Vivaldi with 2" XPS from this thread Quilt box vents necessary? This is one of the 4" high converted quilt boxes. I prefer the 5-1/2" taller ones. The taller Vivaldi boards can also house a round rapid feeder.
The pictured Vivaldi has vents that are too large. It is the first quilt that I converted. The ones that I made after this one have 1/2" slot vents. I make my telescoping covers with longer skirts than standard so the skirts hang down below the vents, protecting them from wind. If you want to use round vent holes then an easy plug is one of these: Oatey 2 in. PVC Pipe Test Cap with Knockout-39101 - The Home Depot You can get them in sizes from 3/4" up through 4" and I find them to be super useful in beekeeping for everything from ventilating and feeding to ant proofing. You are going to want some ventilation or your burlap is going to get soaked.
The one idea that Vino Farms Jim had on his new wonky experimental hive that I liked was he placed a round metal rotatable hive entrance cover over his Vivaldi board holes, that way he can open the hole, screen the hole, or close the hole. On my Vivaldi boards I flip over the inner box to screen the hole, but closing the hole requires a small board.
Yes,I did notice his height on his Vivaldi board. I started mine yesterday and didn't rip down the 1x6 but instead just kept that width. However, I lost a bit in height because I dattoed out a place in all four sides to place my 1/2 inch plywood so that I have 3/8 inch bee space below the Vivaldi board. In the future,I will make them even deeper for more insulation and deep enough so that I can place a mason jar of syrup over the hole if need be.Allowing feed placement with out cracking the seal below the Quilt box is a great feature.
Quick look is also nice with out even allowing the warm air to escape.
And note his is more than 3.5 inch.
Using a medium super gives lots of room and uses existing components. I wish I had screwed to homosote sheet to the bottom of the medium. It is an work in progress!Yes,I did notice his height on his Vivaldi board. I started mine yesterday and didn't rip down the 1x6 but instead just kept that width. However, I lost a bit in height because I dattoed out a place in all four sides to place my 1/2 inch plywood so that I have 3/8 inch bee space below the Vivaldi board. In the future,I will make them even deeper for more insulation and deep enough so that I can place a mason jar of syrup over the hole if need be.
Like !I had the measurements all ready to make some of these, THEN I changed trails.
Cut list was 6 pieces, outside super like structure of 6ish inches and then 2 shorter cross pieces.
As I looked at the stack of empty supers I had and the Stack of short cutoffs and the lack of space to make a new pile of Vivaldi boxes, I came up with a way... to use small pieces, use the supers I have, and not need to stack 40-50 of these for summer.
I just made a 11.5 X 8 inch box 2.5 inches deep.
They would work in 8F or 10F or the Double wall hives I have.
View attachment 67128 View attachment 67129 View attachment 67130 View attachment 67131
fill a grain sack part way with wood shavings
fold the top at the right size, flatten like a pillow and place on top.
this is in a medium, it would also work in a deep, so really just need a box for the hive and a bag of shavings, and the 8x11.5 rim.
Also can be done late in the season, just remove the frames and put in the rim and bag in in case you run late one year.
I can also remove it all and feed medium frames of honey from a dead out, in spring, in any quantity up to full.
try to put a honey frame in your Vivaldi box.
So if any one wants to copy and try go ahead.