Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
The phorid fly is endemic to North America isn't it? Was it not Sanford Porter, a research entomologist with USDA, who brought the phorid fly to the southeast to battle fire ants? I'm surprised we don't see more of it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The phorid fly is endemic to North America isn't it? Was it not Sanford Porter, a research entomologist with USDA, who brought the phorid fly to the southeast to battle fire ants? I'm surprised we don't see more of it.
I'm vaguely familiar with the introduction of the phorid fly to the southeast, and what you say above seems to match my very sketchy understanding.

But it's curious. Do phorid flies lay their eggs in any old bug? Bees are orders of magnitude larger than ants and...well, they fly. It would seem a predator fly attracted to ants would not be very attracted to bees. But, alas...

So what do we introduce to kill the phorid fly, then?

·
Registered
144 Posts
So what do we introduce to kill the phorid fly, then?
First, we introduce lizards to eat the flies. Then, we introduce snakes to eat the lizards. After that, we bring in snake-eating gorillas to eat the snakes, and in the winter the gorillas will simply freeze to death!

·
Registered
491 Posts
First, we introduce lizards to eat the flies. Then, we introduce snakes to eat the lizards. After that, we bring in snake-eating gorillas to eat the snakes, and in the winter the gorillas will simply freeze to death!
100% on board with this plan. Count me in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts