Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the site and fairly new to beekeeping. I've always been fascinated with bees and it's in the family dna.

So hearing that the zombee fly which used to only (as we understood) affect bumblebees which are native to the Americas are now seeking the non-native honey bee. With that in mind I found a stray bee around my porch light around 10pm and put it in a jar and covered it with paper towel. The bee acted odd and weak.

It died soon after but not before circling for a hour. I looked at the zombees website and saw that most sightings was on the west coast and I read that bees are attracted to light so I thought well I don't know if this will work but for science I guess. Also note I tried to set it on the hive opening but it was pushed out swiftly by guards IDK why but maybe that's why they leave the hive?. After 2 days red pupae emerged from the bee. 5 of them to be exact. This was in VA on the TN KY WV borders. it's pretty much everywhere now in the USA and currently science doesn't know the full scope of what it's doing to honeybees. I submitted the findings to zombee watchs website. After you catch the bee you make a sample submission and submit photos and hopefully we find out what it's doing if anything to our girls. The zombee watch website has directions on everything to do and look for.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts