Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Bee community Im very new to bee keeping like 10 days old..LOL. The three hives is a crazy story for later. My Name is Josie I live in the Midwest and Im very new to bee keeping. Maybe you guys can help me out which is the best method of preventing mites I don't have any just want to start an early program for preventing them.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
If you want to learn about varroa mite management, you should watch the latest Randy Oliver presentation on the subject

and perusing his website: Scientific Beekeeping - Beekeeping Through The Eyes of a Biologist

edit: Although in the video he does say something that needs clarification: He says something along the lines that "Oxalic acid vaporization every 10 days is not effective"

If you look at this article on his website on varroa management, in the subsection titled "OAE Comparted to OAV" he says that oxalic acid vaporization treatment at 4 day intervals is effective after at least 3 treatments, and even more effective at 2 day intervals.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Hi Josie. Welcome! It helps if you put your location in your profile, so people in the same zone can give more accurate advice. Not the address, just the general locale.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
We wish there was a way to prevent mites. The presence of mites are one of the few absolutes in beekeeping. I'm confidant in declaring, if you have bees, you have mites.
The only choice is to treat or not.
Good luck with your bees.

Alex

1 - 6 of 6 Posts