Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - I've been off-line for a short while and have begun catching up with last weeks news - and spotted this report which might just be of some interest to beekeepers ... (maybe ?)

https://www.theguardian.com/science...its-stripes-to-deter-flies-from-landing-on-it

It occurred to me that the problem of drifting towards end hives when multiple beehives are positioned tightly together in a row might possibly be 'cured' by painting end hives (or even all of them) in stripes - so that the visual confusion which stripes are thought to create would then force the bees to use their previously acquired navigational 'positioning' to then enter their own hive, rather than selecting the first likely-looking entrance they come across.

Of course, it's more than possible that stripes might create bigger problems ... :)
LJ

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,832 Posts
Oh Gawd, I can just see the huge piles of dead bees in front of the hives now. 15 mph into the side of a hive has got to have disastrous results...I'll stick with different colors for now. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts