Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings and Felicitations!!

I'm Brandon, and I'm from Yuba City, California. I am graduating from a Veterinary Technology Program up here, and the Veterinarian at our School is a Beekeeper. He recently has attempted to interest me in this hobby, and I'm willing to give anything a try once. In addition, I feel that beekeeping is a really important aspect of sustainable agriculture, and with the recent issues facing the honeybee community, I feel like this is a tangible way for me to try and help the local environment some.

Looking forward to learning a lot, and hopefully I can get into the wonderful world of bees.

See y'all around the forum,

Mephi

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m necro-ing this thread to update my progress....after 5 years on the east coast working as a volunteer for an NPO, I’m back in Yuba City and finally going to start my first hive! Hopefully the next couple paychecks can fund me enough to get started

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Howdy Neighbor,
I'm across the bridge in Marysville.
Welcome to BeeSource,
And welcome back home to Yuba City.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Interesting thread for me.
Mived from Grass Valley a little over 5 yrs ago to South Carolina, where my bee keeping odyssey bagan. Evefytime I read an article by Randy Oliver, I have to chuckle cause I'd never heard of him when I lived just about nextdoor to him.
Good luck

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I’m necro-ing this thread to update my progress....after 5 years on the east coast working as a volunteer for an NPO, I’m back in Yuba City and finally going to start my first hive! Hopefully the next couple paychecks can fund me enough to get started
Welcome back, Mephibosheth1 (I am sure there is a story to this handle).

Maybe you could make and deploy a few swarm traps on the cheap to get some free bees... then you can worry about the funds for more permanent housing in a few weeks.

I've seen that many folks are successful with the paper flower pots, and I've also seen folks have good success with kitty litter buckets- doesn't have to be anything fancy...

Good luck to you in your beekeeping efforts- are you working as a Veterinary Technician now?

Russ

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which swarm trap do you recommend? I saw a picture of one that was a couple of clay pots tied together...and do you just tie it in a tree?

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Which swarm trap do you recommend? I saw a picture of one that was a couple of clay pots tied together...and do you just tie it in a tree?
While I am no expert by any means, there are some general principles that Dr. Thomas Seeley has studied intently and many practitioners have observed in practice.

Here is the best resource I have found which will help you get off to a good start:

http://letmbee.com/do-it-yourself/trapping-quick-reference-guide/

The only concern at this point is it may be nearing the tail end of swarm season at your locale, so the quicker the better!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts