Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I mistakenly introduced a queen to a laying worker hive. There wasn't much drone brood in the hive so I initially didn't find the drone brood layer.

After two weeks, an inspection revealed no brood of any kind but drone brood.

I decided to kill the hive instead of combining (I know, I know, a frame of brood a week . . . . I figured it was too late in the year around here to do that).

So after 18 days since introduction, I'm working the girls down into the bottom deep, and removing the top deep. I'm going to add dry ice and seal her up, when lo and behold, here is what I found in the top deep.

Now I know that measly little brood pattern is not much, and I didn't again look into the bottom deep . . . but should I hold out hope???? There is stored nectar, but no capped honey in the hive.

By the way, the single deep, bb, landing board, inner cover, and outer cover weigh 45 lbs.

Ken

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
It's hard to tell with that angle of view but I think that looks like laying worker brood. Those capped cells look like drones. Shake the bees off in your bee yard and take the boxes inside for storage. You could also put those 2 hive bodies(void of bees) underneath a couple strong hives so they are protected from moths and they will be there next year for you to make splits into.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the observations. I can tell you though, that the other drone layers definitely have that bullet-shaped top to them. These seem to be flat.

I'm hoping it's just my queen getting started. Maybe not. Ugh! This hobby can be confusing at times.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Where's the honey and pollen that should be surroundind the brood? How many frames have brood like that and how many frames are covered with bees in the hive?

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Yeah, the others are probably correct. Are the capped cells drone or worker? It's ahrd for me to tell. It looks like most cells have been layed in. Do you see more than one egg in any of the cells? Are eggs laid on cell walls instead of on the bottom?

Maybe it is nothing, but I don't like the looks of the punctured cappings. What's in them? Pearly white larvae or what?

If the punctured capped cells aren't AFB, I'd put this on a strong hive.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not AFB, just me poking around. Anyway, here's another picture of it.

Here's some drone from the same hive.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I'd just throw it on to another hive and get on to something else. I don't see any point in actually killing brood.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Either way I think you already knew it did not look good. You have multiple options depending on what the rest of the hive looks like. Give the experts here some more info and they can tell you how to proceed. From my newbie view point it looks like a failing queen or a laying worker either way it is not good. You need to try and figure out which it is and then you will know which way to go. JMHO

1 - 11 of 11 Posts