Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on doing a hive inspection this weekend at one of my hives that are at a remote location. Since I am not adept at finding the queen I was going to make a new hive using a queen cell (also 3 frames of brood, pollen nectar) from original and putting it into the new hive. How far should I have this hive away from my original hive? I know the nurse bees will stay on the frames but what about the foragers. I want to make sure the new hive has enough workers and foragers to start this. Let me know your thoughts on this idea of a split. Open to all suggestions. Thank you!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Michael. If I split according to my plan and put the new hive right next to the original what about feeding? It is my understanding that you should feed a new hive to build up. Would this induce robbing?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,094 Posts
>Would this induce robbing?

Feeding almost always induces robbing if you don't take it into account. I never feed if there is nectar coming in. It just disrupts the natural order of things. The feedback mechanisms for what resources they need (receiver bees stop taking nectar when they need more water or more propolis and you've left them out) so comb gets backfilled too much and the next thing you know, if you haven't set off robbing, you've set off swarming...

And I hate to feed in a dearth because it's even MORE likely to set off robbing. Give them both resources (honey, pollen, brood etc.) and let them forage...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts