Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,388 Posts
I like the guys doing inspections in Shorts and a T shirt, I mathematically try to calculate how many sting that will cause, in the me too crowd.

totally agree with ifixoldhouses there is a wide array of "demonstrative" inability on the tube.

GG

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 9 colonies inc. 2 resource hives
746 Posts
Anyone besides me ever watch you tube and some of the bee related videos there and think....what idiots?
There are exceptional people but you need to look and be discerning. Highly recommend A Canadian Beekeepers Blog. Ian is amazing. You can learn a ton from him. Also like Dave with Barnyard Bees. I have also learned a lot from Vino Farms. I would recommend his videos for new beekeepers.

We live in a time when it's possible to have a lot of book knowledge much earlier than beekeepers in the past. Book knowledge is not the same as practical knowledge. I'll take it though. We live in modern times with increased pressure on our colonies. Getting a head start is a must. And I have them to thank for it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was just checking out Vimeo last night. My thoughts were, wow! they make beekeeping look so beautiful. And also, Wow!, these people are just making this stuff up. I'll bet the higher level of cinematography is effective in coaxing people into beekeeping. I just hope they take the time to find some knowledgeable resources.

·
Super Moderator
11,280 Posts
This thread is about "bee related videos". Note: Messages that are not on topic will get deleted!

·
Super Moderator
11,280 Posts
I was cleaning up the thread, and moved this message of yours:
Please go to The other section in OT to bash the platforms, this isn't what that is about
I didn't see any specific content there that was relevant once the [rant posted by someone else] was deleted.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
631 Posts
Oh there was more to it, not sure why it didn't post. No worries.

I think many that post videos don't do many or they later realize their mistakes and add new ones. I did that on how to melt wax with stuff I had at the house but it didn't work and I had that on the end of that video. I also showed other ways that some would think was wrong but that is all in the eyes of the beholder. I am new keeper and don't mind showing my mistakes and then posting other vids of how I corrected it :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think there is a lot of wisdom in JWPalmer's signature: "Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them."

I think most everyone you see on YouTube has the bees' best interest in mind. They all just have varying levels of experience, knowledge, training. As the quote above would indicate, the bees may still survive the beekeeper's blunders.

The best thing about watching idiots on YouTube is you gain the experience of their failures without the consequences. Emulate what works, and avoid what doesn't.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've learned a lot on YouTube, once I figured out how to winnow out the equivalent of the five star Amazon review written while still unboxing the widget - high on enthusiasm, low on actual experience. For some reason Michael Palmer's talks filtered to the top. :)

Some of the "how to build equipment" videos are unwatchable - they might know what they're doing bee-wise but watching the misuse of table saws is painful. Oddly enough most of them still seem to have all their digits.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I watch YT, too. And yeah, I get the thought that there's a way they should have done it, but maybe they have no idea. So I thought that's why there's a comment box.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
True that, Vance. I had the oppertunity to speak breifly with Ian at a Wis. Bee convention. With all humility asside, he is a smart cookie, and will get even smarted with time. He is still learning. That is all any of us can hope for.

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
343 Posts
So what's missing from YouTube? Ive got a channel, Re-Hive Beekeeping. I havent done a whole lot with it, some cutouts, swarm trapping, queen rearing etc., but its out there. I'm kicking around the idea of a year long video series following how I manage one or a couple of specific hives through the entire season. There are a whole lot of management how-to videos out there, one for just about any scenario. What I don't see many doing is showing what exactly happened to the hive after doing the particular management, or what comes next. I wouldn't be showing particular managements as a how-to. Rather, state my goal for the hive for the season, show everything I do to the hive through the season to respond to the bees and hopefully meet that goal, or to pivot if things go different.
Sadly, putting things out there opens me up to know it all commentators who will trash everything I'm doing, so I'd try to be clear about WHY I'm doing what I'm doing, instead of what others think I should be doing. And if I screw up, its out there too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anyone besides me ever watch you tube and some of the bee related videos there and think....what idiots?
I TOTALLY agree. I cringe when a beekeeper tells me about a technique, strategy, etc they saw on YouTube. Of course there are some reputable beekeepers that post on YouTube. But to sort through who’s legitimate and who isn’t just isn’t worth the time.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't watch much but maybe I should (as some have said). Even before I sell a newbee a hive, I give them a list of "books" (beekeeping for dummies is one) to read and a list of online sites (like this one) to read. I have one gent that when he calls me all he can talk about is problems he's having and what he is or isn't able to find on youtube. Now when he calls, I tell him where he can find the information in a BOOK or at a WEBSITE and DON'T text me more youtube videos on whatever he's watching that he thinks is so cool. He sent me a video the other day of him doing an inspection...I couldn't watch it after I saw him holding the frames horizontal to the ground (foundationless) and watching the bees fall off and the nectar dripping on the ground. I also allowed him to work with me twice while going through my own hives and showing him the proper way to work a hive and what brood and eggs look like. Now he says he can't see eggs or brood (told him his queen could have dropped off because of the way he was holding his frames), I told him to go find a youtube video on it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.