Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, at least that's what I thought before a family member introduced me to a hive and let me help with an inspection. Very cool! I was hooked after that SO here I am in South Eastern MA waiting for my first package to arrive in a few weeks from Bee Weaver.
Wish me luck! Bees should be happy as I am literally surrounded by apple and peach orchards.

Ink

·
Registered
293 Posts
Seriously think about it. It can be one of the worst addictions. I describe my beekeeping as "a hobby out of control".

·
Registered
255 Posts
Be sure to join a beekeeping club and get some good books on the subject.

Just like a pilot reads the sky and a sailor the sea, the beekeeper must learn to read his bee hives.

Once you get a good dose of Bee Venom in your blood you will be headed for a lifelong addiction.

Good luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Welcome to the family Ink,
The bee fever sets in quickly and you will find yourself thinking about bees more and more all the time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Already read 2 books on the subject and talked to the locals and asked about pesticides. They are as worried about the bees as I am so they are supposedly very conscious of it. I am told most use bee friendly products and they use them at night when the bees are not active. We shall see. Most local orchards near me are smaller, some the "pick your own" variety. I have seen other locals with hives here and there so I am guessing it may not be an issue. It will be a learning process.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
If you just have orchards the bees will be happy when they are in bloom, but what about the rest of the year?

See, now that you're addicted, you can't stop. You'll be looking up all the other good forage sources, checking to see what grows in your area. Suddenly, things you though were weeds are now forage. You stop yanking up dandelions. You start encouraging neighbors to plant pollinator gardens. You start looking for places to plant clover. You become interested in strange-sounding things like Viper's Bugloss that you would never have noticed before.

Sorry, your life is changed forever.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Be cautious, its a sickness. Hives arel like potato chips...can't with one
I went to the doctor shortly after becoming a beekeeper. I told him I think I'm allergic to bees. He asked what happens when I get stung? I said, I get hives. He said that's not an allergy, it's an addiction. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Who just wants one.... whats one more more split gonna hurt...

bee stings make ya sexy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts