Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Your mowing your yard and you stop your garden tractor frequently because your new honey bees are working the dandelions.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Re: You know your a new beekeeper when....

Mow at night

·
Registered
346 Posts

My dad is like that right now he doesnt want to kill my bees, my cousin doesnt like dannies but when i told him that it makes great honey he isnt touching them now. i have no clue if dannies make geat honey. LOL

·
Registered
369 Posts

We had weeds that were over 2 ft tall all over the front lawn. Dandelions, lamium purpureum, creeping charlie, etc. -- they've all been going nuts. Finally, I let my husband mow yesterday because they were getting out of hand -- that's the first mow since last fall!

·
Registered
317 Posts

I do that too, I also let the lawn go to the weeds.

You know your a beekeeper, when you see bee hives even behind houses.

·
Registered
346 Posts

LOL tom i was working and thought i saw some hives so i stopped the truck and was creeping thru some bushes to see if they where hives someone called the cops and they came and asked what was i doing, so i told them admiring the bee hives the cops face was epic. o btw they were hive

·
Registered
111 Posts

I just mowed an area I had left because it was full of a purple blooming weed that the bees loved. Once it was over blooming I mowed it but it was two feet high and tough.

·
Registered
856 Posts

I just mowed an area I had left because it was full of a purple blooming weed that the bees loved. Once it was over blooming I mowed it but it was two feet high and tough.
Did you give it time for the seed to mature. Think next year!

·
Registered
34,542 Posts

LOL tom i was working and thought i saw some hives so i stopped the truck and was creeping thru some bushes to see if they where hives someone called the cops and they came and asked what was i doing, so i told them admiring the bee hives the cops face was epic. o btw they were hive
I see hives at a distance only to find that they are old grave yards.

·
Registered
317 Posts

Finding hives and having the Cops show up reminds of a true story too.

An elderly neighbor who was blind and deaf kept bees, Houndreds of Hives.
I saw his house for sale so I went to check on him.
No one home, so I called the realtor, they imformed me that he had died and the grand daughter was the owner. I told them there was a live beehive by the garage. They told me to take it.
I also called the GD and got permission to take anything I could use. The garage was wall to wall equipment.
Long story short. On my third trip with the truck loaded, the neighbor shows up all Hot under the collar (graud bee).
He told me I was stealing and to unload the truck and get the &*^%_^*@%#&$*@)@0 out of there.
Moral of story, get it in wrighting.:)

·
Registered
2,432 Posts

Too funny, my yard is filled with dandelions, I always try to delay the Chief Mower, altho I have to admit it is getting pretty shabby looking... But I noticed today a lot of the dandelions are turning to seed! Boo hoo.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts

Boo hoo! Collect the seeds and make a new dandy lawn.
I kept seeds for years and they grow fine.

·
Registered
111 Posts

Almost thirty years ago I seeded Dutch White clover in the lawn. A few years ago, when I got bees, I felt bad mowing all the white clover flowers off, but then noticed that it caused the clover to make fresh new blooms. I think the same thing happens with dandelions (which I also have a lot of).

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

I have a big patch of alfalfa out front, along side the drive, and clover and alfalfa patches around the property, all courtesy of my bees. My wife thinks it looks a little too "rustic" when it gets up around 3' in full bloom (a beautiful purple). She won't take me up on my offer to start the mower for her, so the bees get it til after the bloom. Some years I get three cuttings - haha. If I had a horse... (I could feed it for free a few days a year.) I have saved seed.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts

"You know your a new beekeeper when...."
your bees are 'sick and tired' of you checking on their homes twice a day
without using a smoker.
They just ignored you like a daily routine activity.

·
Registered
856 Posts

I sometimes see the back of an automobile covered up with bee stickers. It makes me think they are bee addicts.

·
Registered
235 Posts

Yes, we are letting our lawn die on purpose and replacing with plugs of native ground cover that the bees love. Also, filling in our landscape with natives for our bees and the butterflies or edibles for us. A few non-invasive exotics for all of us. Any plants that goes in has to meet our new standards..... And, we love our weeds, now. :) BTW, my hubby is a landscaper/designer and he hates grass lawns! :lpf:

·
Registered
2,432 Posts

My bees' pollen pockets are so stuffed with golden yellow from the dandelions that I think they are going to burst.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts