Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I felt I would never find a Queen. I posted for help and I got lots.

After work this evening I decided to apply advice given and opened up the first...and oldest package. Happy bees trucking in pollen earlier in day. Lots of capped and open honey on freshly drawn comb. Sounds great...well no brood...nada...none, no eggs ...but I think there is a capped Queen cell hanging beautifully from a foundation less bar that has some drawn comb. It looks like a capped QC so I hope it is. I will look in a week and see what is happening. I marked the frame and position on it. If it hatches is it about 2 weeks until eggs should appear? I am thinking of giving them a frame with capped and open brood anyway. Is there downside to doing that?

So on to the next. Based on your info I pulled the frame I thought May have the Queen. It was
A freshly drawn foundation less frame with brood open and closed. There she was in all her glory! I got so excited I simply plopped the comb down on the inner cover. That comb acted like unset Jello! It came off the bar and formed a pile of wax and now largely exposed brood...but I got the Queen and marked her. I salvaged as much of the comb as I could and hooked it to the bar with some half inch wire. I tried elastics but they cut right through it and made things worse.

So on to hive 3... Chose my frame...another one with no foundation ( every other one has wax foundation) and a only a few moments there she was...caught her and marked her. I had ordered a marker last year but hadn't noticed it was white. So my new Queens are white not whatever colour this year should be.

Hive 4...went as smoothly as hive 3!!!!

I hope the bees don't kill the Queens with white dots. I let them dry with bees around them before freeing them.

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
654 Posts
This sounds awesome. I love seeing a new queen and knowing that things are on track. My eye has improved for spotting queens and I'm sure that yours will also. I saw some tonight and it was nearly dark out when I spotted them. The bees were very non aggressive even though it was getting dark. That was pleasant.
Your queen marks will probably be just fine, don't sweat it. :thumbsup:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts