Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

321 - 336 of 336 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #322 ·
I have never had luck with this but you might try smoking from the bottom hard enough to try and run her up and use no smoke from the top. I am usually so scared of bees that I just smoke everywhere but have had this advised to me in the past.
Good luck
gww
I think I use too much smoke usually. Yesterday I didn't have my smoker, but I did have a several years old cigar. So I lit that and blew a few puffs across the entrance and on top. That seemed to be plenty, and was way less than 10% of my normal amount of smoke.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #323 ·
Start a separate thread for that when you get started please. Have a similar idea bouncing around in my head.
I am thinking just a box big enough for 6 frames to be fitted in, and a few inches longer than a frame is long, with a riser at the bottom to hold the frames in place.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
I think I use too much smoke usually. Yesterday I didn't have my smoker, but I did have a several years old cigar. So I lit that and blew a few puffs across the entrance and on top. That seemed to be plenty, and was way less than 10% of my normal amount of smoke.
Google - "german bee pipe".
You may like it.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #325 ·
Google - "german bee pipe".
You may like it.
Cute. I'd never buy one but can see the benefit, particularly if you are a non-smoker, as I mostly am. I occasionally smoke a cigar and really enjoy them, but can't stand the aftertaste in my mouth which lasts all day. These days I roll up a few every year from my backyard tobacco plants, but mostly I just enjoy the smell in my bee smoker without actually smoking the cigar myself.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #326 ·
Start a separate thread for that when you get started please. Have a similar idea bouncing around in my head.
If I did that I'd have to take pics and everything. I may do that.

I went ahead and made a swarm trap intended to be placed vertically. It is basically very similar to my 5-frame nucs, except it is one frame wider, and I added 4 inches at the bottom. People tell me that a 5-frame nuc is a bit small for a swarm trap, so I decided to add more space.

It is designed to be used either standing vertically or laying on it's back. I gave it a hinged door which is the front side. To add frames just open the door and slide them in standing upright. There is a spacer 4 inches off the floor, horizontally across lower front to hold the frames in place, and a second spacer at the top, so Langstroth's bee space is mostly maintained. The back is solid and permanently attached.

My plan is to add an eye hook and dangle it from a tree branch, probably with a strap of some sort to hold it against the tree.

I didn't have any decent wood handy, so I used a sheet of 1/2 inch particle board. It's crap. But it was a free discard at the local farm supply store, so the price was right. It was nailed and glued rather than screws as I normally use with my hives. I don't expect it to last long enough to warrant the use of screws. Plan for tomorrow is to paint it and in a few days to set it out.

I found an ideal location, but I wonder about the legality, have to check on that. A new hiking trail park opened up recently about a mile from my home. It's a narrow strip of woods and a creek, and is accessable by car. Very simple to place the trap in a location that is easily seen by one in the know, but invisible to casual passers-by.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
I went ahead and made a swarm trap intended to be placed vertically.
What is wrong with a standard Lang box standing on its side (with the frames in vertical orientation)?

Fill it with frames in the normal way and they will stay in there properly.
Here is my storage under the porch - full of "swarm traps" that are standing vertically.

Screw two pieces of plywood/particle board on both side - done.
To open, unscrew the appropriate side.

I have been thinking of setting up nucs/traps this way, but have plenty of my normal equipment to bother with it.
Should work for the bee trapping just as well.
One of the benefits - installing such traps is easier in most ad-hoc locations (because it is narrow vs wide).

Click through this video and see just how flexible is the "narrow" trap vs. the "wide" trap (there are many setups glued together - check out what people have been doing).

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Awkward shape and configuration.
I don't know until I try.
I want to try even as a proof of the concept.
The one obvious merit - the stuff is already available and only takes some unconventional look at it.
For sure, in the trap configuration you only deal with them once - open the box and transfer frames into your conventional setup if so desired.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #332 ·
The first box in that video looks very much like a trap I made, one of the first. I found it annoying to attach to trees, and I don't want to nail boards to trees.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #333 ·
After work this morning I visited the bees. 2 capped queen cells hanging down off the lowest comb. No scouts at the traps nearby. A few more uncapped queen cells, but it was hard to see if anything was in them.

Dug out a chunk of drone comb. Saw 2 mites in 80 drone brood. I looked at a lot more, but it got kinda squashed so harder to see. No signs of misshapen or dead drones in the brood.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #334 ·
5 bees in the back yard today, one went into a swarm trap...
I did as GregV suggested and put all of my used boxes/frames outside, making a wall of scent and potential homes.
Finished a second swarm trap of the new design. Decided not to waste metal hinges and used a strip of blue jean cloth glued and stapled on as a hinge. That will go out along a creek in a few days.

Stayed home and tended the garden. Rouged out another 20-30 volunteer tomatoes. They are going to work with me tonight. Somebody will want them. That's about 70 plants I have taken in the last week. There are still too many growing. Have to start throwing them away soon. Zucchini same, too many plants. I expect to be eating way too many this summer.

Still no rain.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
5 bees in the back yard today, one went into a swarm trap...
I did as GregV suggested and put all of my used boxes/frames outside, making a wall of scent and potential homes.
Here you go!
5 bees is an improvement already over the 3 bees. LOL

In my back pretty much in every trap there are 3-4 bees just sitting there looking out of the holes at me, as if they are permanent dwellers now.
I don't know what is the scoop and how long this will continue.
By this time last year I dragged down 3 swarms on the back.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #336 ·
Quite a lot more bees today. Looks like cleaning out some old honey.

321 - 336 of 336 Posts