Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

281 - 300 of 336 Posts

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Did I time travel back 2 months? Frost warning for tonight. High temps in the 50s for the next several days. Fire in the fireplace, wool socks, stocking cap and hoodie.
Heck, most every day it is just too cold to enjoy working outdoors.
It is doable, but it is NOT enjoyable.
Maybe good for the swarm buildup though! ..........(IF you on the catching side, LOL!)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Did I time travel back 2 months?
It looks like for the first time in awhile we in the Midwest and Upper South are getting to enjoy a protracted spring. I for one am glad to avoid temperatures in the 90's for a few more weeks.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·
It looks like for the first time in awhile we in the Midwest and Upper South are getting to enjoy a protracted spring. I for one am glad to avoid temperatures in the 90's for a few more weeks.
I like heat, but am getting too old to enjoy chill. 90 is Okay.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #285 ·
May 9th and have started burning NEXT year's firewood. May need to update my expected usage. Debating turning the furnace back on.

On the plus side, the green veggies I seeded last fall are doing great and lots of garden veggies, lettuce way beyond our needs, rocket/arugula, chives, asparagus. We counted 8 varieties of home grown veggies in yesterday's dinner. Time to cut rhubarb.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
May 9th and have started burning NEXT year's firewood. May need to update my expected usage. Debating turning the furnace back on.
Yeah, I had to put some fire in the stove this weekend too.

I like it hot...on the other hand, I'm in the middle of replacing the front wheel bearing hubs in a Grand Cherokee and sweating my tail off doing it so maybe it's better if it stays cool for a bit. It's an '02 and they used some kind of stupid splined bolts that may have seemed cool at the time, but after 20 years of rusting they have turned to feces. I ruined one before I got the idea to use an impact socket one size smaller than what it is and drive it on with a 4lb mini-sledge. Took me hours to grind the ruined one off with a stone.

And, of course, I had to buy a new set of spline sockets that it took hours to find when my usual automotive supply shop that services all of the garages around here didn't have any...and they will probably only get used just this one time. I'm glad I have air tools, it would really be a horror show without them.

Reactions: AR1

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #287 ·
Drones in the hive today! Saw several when popped the top. None flying yet that I saw, but it means split time is approaching fast. I put a medium on top, the first I have had to add. Lots of pollen going in, it looked like almost every second bee was carrying large pollen loads. Bees appear healthy and active, no deranged wings and so far this year no mites seen, but not alcohol washed yet. Looking forward to pulling some frames and looking at drone brood for mites.

Weather is supposed to remain cool for several days, max 60 with possible frost at night. So I left the insulation box on top.

About once a week my wife asks when I am bringing a hive back to our house. I think she misses them, though she has no interest in helping work them.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
ar1
Do tobacco got to seed yearly for saving seed. I know I could google but have an expert at hand that I trust more in you.
Thanks
gww

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #290 ·
ar1
Do tobacco got to seed yearly for saving seed. I know I could google but have an expert at hand that I trust more in you.
Thanks
gww
I have used seed that was several years old without problem. It makes so many seeds that even if germination is poor there always seem to some that are good. It is still early, so if you have not seeded it yet no problem. I planted some last year in June and it was Okay.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Ar1
Thanks. I broadcast some on the edge of a flower garden today. I did not water but it is supposed to rain day after tomorrow. Your answer just means I can be more generous with the seeds you give me and not worry so much about saving as much.
Thanks again.
gww

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #294 ·
Ar1
Thanks. I broadcast some on the edge of a flower garden today. I did not water but it is supposed to rain day after tomorrow. Your answer just means I can be more generous with the seeds you give me and not worry so much about saving as much.
Thanks again.
gww
If it doesn't work this year I'll mail you some more. Sure no shortage of seeds! One thing to look out for is tobacco is very slow to sprout and remains tiny for weeks, so you may not think anything is happening for a long time. Weeds can take it over. Once tobacco starts growing though it is very tough and grows fast. Easy to transplant, just pull it up and plant where you want it.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #295 ·
It's 0300 and I am at work, it's a bit slow tonight. Thinking about this AM, I plan to tip my hive back and look for queen cells later this morning.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #296 ·
Hive looks good, very active and storing a bit of nectar in the new medium overhead. Tipped it on it's side, no queen cells.

Corn in the garden starting to sprout, and potatoes. It needs a rain and few days of heat.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #297 ·
Drove to Champaign Il today to attend my daughter's graduation. 3 down (daughter #1, me, daughter #2), one to go (daughter #1's MS degree later this summer). Daughter #2 got a job in Iowa promoting farmer's markets. I told her to hire me as a consultant!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #299 ·
Visited the bees yesterday. They look good, healthy and active. They are moving up into the new box and building comb and storing nectar. No eggs or brood up top yet. I tipped the hive over to look from below. Lots of bees but no signs of queen cells. Not time to split yet; I want that top box packed with bees. The number of drones is increasing. The drones are very dark, mostly black, while the workers are a dark yellow. Lighter color than I recall from the sister hives last year.

A disappointment in the garden. None of the watermelons have sprouted. I replanted a long row. Other stuff is coming up, potatoes, okra, carrots, several varieties of corn, cantaloupe several varieties, bush and climbing beans, zucchini, etc. Most of the seed is from plants I have been growing back from saved seed for years.

I did plant some purchased seeds, some new sweetcorn and popcorn varieties, and the germination isn't very good in the bought seed. The new cantaloupe varieties are a particular disappointment, as only a couple have popped up yet, while my saved seeds are doing very well (except the watermelon).

A nice walk in the woods. None of the traps show any activity yet, but I did spot some bees working the flowers. Collected a few mulberry branches to make replacement shovel handles. I seem to break a shovel handle every year.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Most of the wife's stuff is up and growing. Have sweet potatoes in the kitchen window but not in the garden yet.
Have not got the ground worked up yet. Me and the wife both independently scattered random seed in the same place independent of each other with mine being tobacco and so now I need to let all the stuff grow long enough for me to tell which plants are tobacco. :)

Cheers
gww

281 - 300 of 336 Posts