Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You are NOT going to believe this! I just visited a man who said he had a problem with bees in a small shed behind his house. The shed turned out to be a "playhouse" complete with carpet, little desks, etc.

Sure enough, the bees were coming in and out of the wall on the upper right hand corner (if you are facing the little playhouse).

The bees were really, really busy with lots of action both in and out. Tons of bees were really zipping into the crack just loaded with pollen. They were really moving quickly as if they were very much in a hurry. It was amazing to watch.

I asked the owner if I could look inside the house to see if they have come through the wall. He said "sure, go ahead. You'll see thousands of them". That got my attention.

Well, I carefully opened the outer screen door and then the inner wooden door. I looked around with the door cracked but saw nothing flying. I stepped in and saw the little playhouse from the inside. Wall to wall carpet, small desks and pieces of furniture and a rust colored carpet with brown accent spots all over the carpet from wall to wall. My first step into the house met with my foot crunching on something. I looked down, carefully this time and realized the brown accent spots all over the floor...from wall to wall...were literally thousands and thousands of dead bees. The bees were dead all over every single flat surface with many live bees in the windows. I never did find where they were gaining access to the inner part of the house but I didn't move any furniture.

I went to the corner where the bees were in the wall and I could literally hear the constant, vibrant "humming" coming from inside the wall. I got chills.

I'm going to see if the owner will allow me to remove the bees with a cut-out and he said that would be fine.

Oh, I almost forgot. The thousands and thousands of bees on the floor, remember that part. The owner told me he completely swept and cleaned the floor of bees, twice in the last six months.:eek::eek::eek: Can you imagine how many bees have died. I'm going to have to vacuum up the bees and move them to another place.

Just had to share.

If I do get to do the cutout, then I'm going to take plenty of pictures and post them to the forum.

·
Registered
453 Posts
With that many dead bees I'd be asking if he sprayed or something.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I believe it. I just got a call today from a business owner who had bees move into his cinder-block wall yesterday, and there is a hole going to the inside of the place as well... there were hundreds of dead bees littering the floors from just yesterday and today. I can't do a cutout on mine since it's cinder-block, so I'm glad they just moved in... won't have any honey stored that will go bad later so I can just do a trapout.

He didn't spray btw... the bees were just coming in to the flourescent lights.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really don't think he sprayed them. Once they get out to the inside of theplayhouse, they can't seem to be able to find their way back to the hole.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Make sure you post the pics, cant wait to see them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts