Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Back for a visit. Might stay a while...

Yes, I am still keeping bees. Yes, I am keeping them as naturally as possible. The only "foreign" substances I put in my hives are:
1) 2:1 Fall Sugar Syrup (White Sugar / Water / Ascorbic Acid - the Vit C acidifies the syrup so it more closely approximates the pH of somewhat concentrated nectar and hopefully results in "honey" with a pH closer to that of natural nectar-based honey)
2) BT - Sprayed on COMB PRIOR to storage as needed throughout the season. I use aizawai-strain BT (Xentari)
3) Dry sugar on newspaper on the top bars to winterize - though I didn't use any this past year
4) Smoke. Usually from dried wood chips I collect by the side of the road. I light them with an instant-light propane torch. They work great when you find the small ones.

I am in south east PA. I run between 10 and 15 foundationless natural size cell hives; I let the bees build whatever they like. I minimally manage my hives; if I get a good honey harvest, great! If not, no big deal. I have not purchased queens or bees for 7 or 8 years; the majority of my bees come from local removals and swarms (my longest-lived colonies are from long-lived removals).

Winter losses this past winter were 30% (3 of 10 hives). One colony did not put up sufficient stores and died early in the winter. The other two failed to move to nearby (available) stores during cold snaps (one failed to move UP to overhead honey. The other failed to move OVER to adjacent frames of nearby honey).

Yes, we have SHB here. They're annoying but generally not detrimental to my hives that I've seen. Some colonies seem to host a noticeably larger number of SHBs than others... I don't do anything to manage them.

With one exception, surviving colonies this spring are reasonably strong, and I am supering up for honey this year. I have a ton of old frames to melt in the solar wax melter I built last year. Unfortunately it doesn't get as hot as required. I'm thinking of adding a whole bunch of strong magnets to attract in more sun. Just checking to see if you actually read this far ;)

Oh, and I'm very much a MB disciple. Most of what I know about bees I learned here, directly from the bees, or via a combination of both.

-Pete

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I'm thinking of adding a whole bunch of strong magnets to attract in more sun. Just checking to see if you actually read this far ;)

-Pete
Welcome! I don't know you from way back..when? I also am treatment free except a rare syrup feed to get comb drawing going, and I also use BT from Sundance because I was tired of losing all that nice comb to wax moths.

I'm sometimes told that 4th-5th year is when I will lose a bunch of hives to varroa. So far just one, last year. Most of my losses are queenlessness, bad splits, poor queens . Lost one this spring that just up and left (or so it seems) after moving them to a small orange grove. Moved 3 hives, one disappeared. I'm entering my 5th year.
Beverly

·
Super Moderator
11,067 Posts
> I'm thinking of adding a whole bunch of strong magnets to attract in more sun.

How about a mirror instead?
:)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
>How about a mirror instead? [/COLOR]:)
Yep, that's the plan. I need to start hitting garage sales. One on either side should work - I think the glass is too thick (it's from a fireplace) and probably a bit too small. I'll get it going this year :)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome! I don't know you from way back..when?Beverly
Hi Beverly

I was on here quite a while ago - I don't think we've "met."

My experience is that untreated mite-susceptible colonies most often die in their 2nd winter. If you're in your 5th season, are fully regressed (on all small-cell), and your bees are locally acclimated, I would not expect any additional losses this year.

Good luck, and nice to "meet" you!

-Pete

·
Registered
56 Posts
Welcome back, Pete. I was born in Easton, not quite southeast PA.

I have to ask about "yop." I have been known to sign off with "yopp" from Dr. Seuss's Horton Hears a Who. It's also on my license tag. I've never seen it spelled with just one "p" but then again, it may be completely unrelated to my "yopp."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts