Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered I have more jars of honey (from my hive) in the freezer than I remember. It's just a few pounds. Since I peeked in the hive last week and saw the bees were close to the top, I threw on some fondant patties. Now I'm thinking I might take what honey I have left and pour into a bunch of peanut butter lids and place these on top of the frames (I'll put a shim on to give them some room at the top). I also plan on feeding them more of the fondant patties. Does this approach seem ok? Do I need to worry about the bees drowning in the honey if they fall into the lid?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I think the lip of the lids are short enough so they won't drown. It isn't like in the summer if they find a container of honey and there's a lot of hectic flying going on. I have never done this though; in the winter. The fondant patties are fine.

"Does this approach seem ok."

Well,.I don't know, you're thinking of doing these things like the bees are little pets. What's next, are you going to take a little eye dropper with honey and feed each bee individually? :D ;) :lookout:

·
Registered
69 Posts
If the bees have gone into winter with enough stores, then they should not need feeding and can be left alone. Fondant is fine IF they need it. The extracted honey is usually eaten by us! I see no point in extracting the honey and then giving it back - especially as you have purchased fondant for the purpose.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts