Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small/light colony in a hive with a laying queen but had an early set back due to my inexperience. Next to that hive is a strong/heavy colony in a hive with a good queen that got off to a better start. It was suggested to me by an "old timer" to simply switch the 2 hives during the middle of the day while the foragers were gone. The foragers would return to the new hive giving the small colony reinforcement. This would not be to terribly difficult as both hives are 8 frame hives with a single brood box. I am thinking just adding bees to the small colony would be a better method but wanted to run this past you guys for your feedback.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After posting my question here and you folks so graciously responding I attended the South Florida Bee College where 2 of the speakers in classes I attended mentioned this same practice in their presentation. Then reading an article on drifting that also mentioned this as a common practice. So, this past Sunday I switched the hives. I saw a dramatic increase in forager activity in the light hive and a decrease in forager activity in the strong hive. The strong hive has more bees and stored resourses so I feel confident activity will increase in time for our fall flow.

Thanks again

·
Registered
490 Posts
I did the hive switch and moved a frame of capped brood (brushed bees off) from the stronger to the weaker earlier this year. Within about 3 weeks the weaker hive had caught up (based on drawn/filled comb in the deep hive body).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts