Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two swarms that came from the same hive. The first large swarm has the original queen and it's doing well. A second small swarm and the original hive both failed to produce laying queens. I introduced a queen to the original hive Sunday and checked today. She's out and all looks good. I plan to combine the second smaller (queenless) swarm with the original hive with the new queen.

So my question is where in the stack do I put the small swarm? The original hive is all mediums, with two boxes for brood (although there's no actual brood right now) and three boxes for honey, two of which are nearly full. The small swarm has one brood box (although no brood in it) and one box about half full of honey (that came from another hive). So, do I stack the small hive on top of the three honey supers on the original hive (brood/brood/honey/honey/honey/swarm), or do I remove the honey supers and add the small swarm directly over the brood boxes (brood/brood/swarm/honey)? Or remove two honey supers, so I have brood/brood/honey/swarm? Eventually I'll get it to brood/brood/honey/honey, but I'm just not sure how the combine should go.

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
What's in those two bottom brood boxes if there's no brood in them? If they are empty or mostly empty, I think I'd take them out. Lift the boxes of mostly honey up off the brood and set the two box swarm in there and set the honey back down on top of it. I'd end up with bottom brood, next two boxes from swarm, honey boxes on top. I'd check back in a week or two and see how they're doing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts