Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As with most we have had our share of cold weather. Its 28 now and I'm sure it will get lower. I've had calls from many students concerned about thier first winter with bees. It was very interesting to see the bees on Wednesday out and flying when the afternoon temp hit the mid 40's in the sun. Only a few but it was nice to see them. One hive had a little orientation flight going by 40 or so bees. Even the nucs got in on the action.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
-11! Thats too cold for me. Reminds me of when I was growing up in northern Wisconsin. I like Virginia winters much better. It was 23 this morning and got up to the low forties today. A few of the girls were out.

·
Registered
723 Posts
What's wrong with this picture when it's colder in Alabama today than it was in Virginia!

Low of 18, High of 28...and the wind is blowing. Put wind breakers in front of my nucs yesterday.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'm not so concerned about the bees freezing as I am that they'll starve for not being able to break cluster to get food once they run out of food on the frames where the cluster is. I really hate worrying like this over something that I can't do a thing about.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have had my nuc in the garage most of the winter to keep it a little warmer than outside. We have been cold the past three weeks here in central ohio and the nuc is doing well. I was in it today as it was in low 40's and bees were flying everywhere. I moved the nuc out yesterday since it was going to be warmer today.

I watch the 10 day forecast to determine when to move the nuc in or out of the garage.

Sometimes I believe that I think too much about this stuff. Pife

·
Registered
583 Posts
the bees will be fine.cold does not effect them like us.i checked my weakest hive yesterday they have a grapefruit size cluster.running low on stores they have about 5lbs left.should be fine since spring is almost here less that 30 days till first bloom.This time of year watch their stores may have too rob strong hives.:popcorn:

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Frank,

Start thinking about getting a patty on them if they are that low on stores.

The summer bee meeting this year should be pretty good. They are going to be showing how to graft, check for mites, etc. all hands on. Plan on coming.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts