Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got in my hives today, and was surprised to see a lot of yellow wax capping. Bright yellow. Not white. I know when the flow is on the wax is white. I'm wondering what this yellow wax means, if anything. It's different from honeycomb wax (but obviously this is honeycomb wax). Honey comb wax, to my eye, is sort of that opaque-ish beige. So do we have three colors of wax capping?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I had some last summer and the honey taste awful, other beekeepers had the same problem and said they made it from Bitter weed? It was a bright yellow color.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mr. Beeman, I don't believe so. This was solid yellow, and most definitely wax.

I suppose it probably is from last fall, Square, and certainly could be bitter weed. Guess I'll just avoid it. Was hoping it was some other kind of indicator.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Mr. Beeman, I don't believe so. This was solid yellow, and most definitely wax.

I suppose it probably is from last fall, Square, and certainly could be bitter weed. Guess I'll just avoid it. Was hoping it was some other kind of indicator.
I think somebody last year discussed that bees will move/recycle a small amount of wax around the hive before the major flow gets started and they start excreting wax.

·
Registered
255 Posts
We have a plant which is a false dandelion. The pollen has a high oil content and the wax secreted by the bees gathering it, is a yellow colour.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
When the bees tank up for wax-making on dark nectar like redbud, the wax is yellow. And yes, goldenrod produces yellow wax. My guess is the colony is feeding on fall honey.
Walt

·
Registered
299 Posts
I had some honey from last fall that was yellow and very waxy. It took Goo-Gone to get it off the utensils I used to crush and strain. The honey is good though, tastes citrusy.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Are you feeding sugar syrup? I sometimes see a distinctly yellow wax/capping when doing so.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's interesting, beeman. That sugar syrup would cause such a yellow wax. I wonder how that happens. I've had sugar out of my front porch. Not syrup, a barely wet slush. But I am sure that doesn't make a difference. That's interesting, because my guess would have been not from last year. This looks fresh.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I wonder how that happens.
It doesn't always...nor is it necessarily true in all of the hives being fed at the same time. Why? I have no idea but simply made a mental note of those occasions when it happened.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Beeman, I just assumed you knew everything. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts