Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instead of trapping yellow jackets to deal with them, has anybody considered poisoning them with a bait type of poison similar to that used to kill ant colonies? The poison could be marinated into some chunks of fish or something else that the yellow-jackets will love, but other things will generally ignore.

Seems like it might work... IF there's a slow-working poison for yellow jackets.

Anyway, just wanted to toss this out as a random thought.

·
Registered
323 Posts
"7" will do it. The trick would be to get the YJs to get it on them and carry it back to there nest. A bigger trick woul be how to keep the bees from doing the same?? I've read that bees do not like the the smell of bannas, so would dusting bannas work :scratch:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
That recipe for trapping YJ using water, vinegar, sugar, and a bananna peel works so good I do not understand why anyone would want to risk their bees by using sevin or any other bee poison. Sevin is one of he most toxic poisons for bees, and worse yet is the way it gets carried back into the hive.
The recipe has been posted several times on the forums. I trapped hundreds of YJ this fall without catching a single bee, and the traps were right in the bee yard.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
The poison could be marinated into some chunks of fish or something else that the yellow-jackets will love, but other things will generally ignore.
Did we miss something here? YJs go after any thing rotten.

That recipe for trapping YJ using water, vinegar, sugar, and a bananna peel works so good
The bananna peel thingy won`t work here the best thing I have found is "fruit punch" the cheap kind it will catch 100 to 1 over the BP

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
You may get a few bees but in my traps I probably had 500 to 1 and the red punch was from the dollar store - cheaper U no me

1 - 7 of 7 Posts