Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a beekeeper yet, but I plan on starting next spring. Our neighborhood seems to have problems with yellow jackets. Next door had a hive in a log, I had one in the ground and the other neighbor has a bee trap collecting everything that ventures into it.
Will the honeybees cause a decrease in the yellow jackets and what about my neighbor having a trap for the yellow jackets? Won't my honeybees want to visit it also?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The only way honey bees will decrease yellowjackets in the area is if the beekeeper finds the yellow jackets nests and kills them because they also eat bee larva. Most honey bees will not go near the traps because they are bated with meat to attract the yellow jackets because they eat meat. Honey bees only eat pollon and honey and not meat.
Clint

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
Most yellow jacket traps use either some kind of sugar or some kind of meat. It depends on the time of year what the YJ are looking for. Most of the sugar ones involve some vinegar and/or some banna, neither of which attracts the bees.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts