Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that just about covers it. I was setting out some cappings last night and took 3-4 yellow jacket stings to my fingers before it was over. Ended up with a honeybee sting to the end of nose and under eye with almost zero swelling. But the pesky yellow jacket stings swelled my fingers to painful proportions.

Our field is grown up and I intend to mow some paths through it in the next couple of weeks, if for no other reason to make it easier to find yellow jacket nests. What methods to you use to trap (with minimal bees) or find nests? Thanks

·
Registered
463 Posts
I think that just about covers it. I was setting out some cappings last night and took 3-4 yellow jacket stings to my fingers before it was over. Ended up with a honeybee sting to the end of nose and under eye with almost zero swelling. But the pesky yellow jacket stings swelled my fingers to painful proportions.

Our field is grown up and I intend to mow some paths through it in the next couple of weeks, if for no other reason to make it easier to find yellow jacket nests. What methods to you use to trap (with minimal bees) or find nests? Thanks
I use something similar to this. I put out three traps and caught yellowjackets, bald face hornets, wasps, and wax moths for two months. I think I saw a few hive beetles in them too. You have to renew them every couple of weeks since they fill up with bugs and the scent fades. I also used apple chunks and it worked well also. The vinegar will keep the bees out of them. I didn't have one bee in them.

·
Registered
Survivor stock & Buckfast in Langstroth 8F’s
555 Posts
I am going to make some up and take it to the lake house, they are bad up there. However as far as in the bee yards, I keep my grass fairly well scalped in at least a 100’ circumference and everything else cut down as well. I can deal with the wasp, it’s those rattle snakes that worry me around here.😳 Are you dealing with above ground, below ground nest Joe?

·
Registered
555 Posts
If your dealing with underground nest, first thing is you have to get the area cleared, mark them, wait until night to spray them they should all be at the nest and much easier to treat. This might come in handy;

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The vinegar will keep the bees out of them. I didn't have one bee in them.
Nice. Thanks! :)
2 liter soda bottle, cut top off, flip it around & shove inside itself, toss a piece of lunchmeat inside for bait
Thanks, I've done something similar once before but used a dark funnel and it didn't work too well. At the time I thought it would have gone better with something clear. 2-liter, sounds about right.
, it’s those rattle snakes that worry me around here.😳 Are you dealing with above ground, below ground nest Joe?
About 95% of nests are below ground. I remember when I was very young there was a nest in our yard. I poured about 1/2 cup of gas in it and lit it. My Dad walked away shaking his head. He told me it was the fumes that kill them, and I had just lit the fumes. As the nest is usually in a side cavity I had done nothing to them. The next day proved him to be correct as they were back at it. That time a small amount of gas did the trick.

Rattle snakes are very rare where we live (and common 15 miles away), but copperheads are plentiful if you know where to look. The outside cats and chickens keep them beaten back pretty good. As far as keeping it clipped, my primary forage is a 5-6 acre field, so I'm only mowing a bit at a time. Makes a good excuse anyway. ;) My bees are lucky if they don't have to chew down the grass to get in the front door. I weed-eat 4-5x a year and it's definitely due one.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yeah, I am thankful most of our nest are above ground, I have seen them use gas, dry ice to treat the under ground nest, I posted something that might prove useful in my previous post when I edited. I thought it worked pretty well for him, and don’t think you would get to many bees.

·
Registered
376 Posts
2 liter soda bottle, cut top off, flip it around & shove inside itself, toss a piece of lunchmeat inside for bait
I'd heard about doing this. And even tried it. But are you suggesting meat only with no sugar water? And does it work better that way? (I'd only heard of having sugar water in it. But I'm interested if there's a new way!)

·
Registered
376 Posts
I killed probably at least 15 of these today just mashing them as they'd approach the feeder. But where I slay 1, another 2 will be in their place tomorrow, I expect. They seem to breed pretty fast. It would be interesting to compare and know the # of days for their eggs to hatch compared to # of days for honey bees to hatch.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And they don't eat much, so you can always make a sandwich after the trap is full.
😂
+1 for sammiches!
Now we are getting somewhere. A yellow jacket and questionable lunch-meat sandwich.

Rescue yellow jacket trap.....it works....I've tried the "homemade" versions....they suck....
I broke down and bought 1 disposable and 2 refillables at Home Depot today. I'm generally trying to occasionally open-feed a bunch of hives without raising a billion yellow jackets. Went out after an hour and had 8-10 of what looked like queens (or severely gorged) yellow jackets, zero honey bees despite several thousand flying within 20-30' from the trap. I'll update again as this progresses.

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,541 Posts
I broke down and bought 1 disposable and 2 refillables at Home Depot today. I'm generally trying to occasionally open-feed a bunch of hives without raising a billion yellow jackets. Went out after an hour and had 8-10 of what looked like queens (or severely gorged) yellow jackets, zero honey bees despite several thousand flying within 20-30' from the trap. I'll update again as this progresses.
It sounds like you still have a flow going on if the bees are ignoring it. The bees prefer flowers over sugar and honey when they have a choice.

I have found that a blow torch is very effective for taking yellow jackets/wasps when they land somewhere and collect like that. It is also a very effective way to take out above ground nests (when they are somewhere fire resistant)

·
Registered
213 Posts
I tried the homemade traps with juice and meat, they did not do very well. We have yellow jacket heaven here right now and the latest nest was in the bumper of a work truck that hadn't moved for a month. I have a huge nest about 15 feet from my apiary, it is under an old wooden box. I have been wondering how to deal with it for a month, I am afraid to spray so close to my bees, and the traps don't seem to get enough of them. They are getting more and more aggressive as the season progresses.

Today I took a huge sheet of clear plastic film, left over from my greenhouse, suited up and covered the entire hive. I put some boards around the bottom to weigh it down. I know they will still probably find a new way in and out thru a small fold in the plastic, but I am hoping that the high heat created from the sun cooks the little buggers. My greenhouse can get upwards of 50C, if I don't properly vent, so I am hoping that this at least kills the developing larva.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well,I headed out to look at my 'fix me up' and the amount of moisture under the plastic is astounding, the sun is out and temps. are rising. Because of the way the box is built, with a peaked metal top, many yellow jackets are coming out of the hive and have gone to the top of the peak under the plastic and desperate to get out, the forager wasps are on the outside trying to get in.

I repeated this set up with a nest under some pails in a small open trailer and I made sure to prop a pipe under the plastic to create a peak. I hope this works, at least to some degree. I could be off on the wrong track but it is the only thing I could think of to get them all without spray.

Tonight when they are hopefully settled down a little, I am going to secure the plastic better so come morning they cannot find a way out. They are a little to angry right now, I can handle bees that are that annoyed but not these wasps. I have a feeling their stinger might be a little longer than the bees and could penetrate my suit.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I could be off on the wrong track but it is the only thing I could think of to get them all without spray.
I'm going to suggest something from my earlier post.
About 95% of nests are below ground. I remember when I was very young there was a nest in our yard. I poured about 1/2 cup of gas in it and lit it. My Dad walked away shaking his head. He told me it was the fumes that kill them, and I had just lit the fumes. As the nest is usually in a side cavity I had done nothing to them. The next day proved him to be correct as they were back at it. That time a small amount of gas did the trick.
About a cup of gasoline will usually fume out an underground (or confined) nest. Diesel will work as well, and neither will harm above-ground honeybees. Do I like pouring any petrol on the ground, no. Do I like it better than some insecticide, you bet.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts