Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short Story:

Felt like my bees were just hell bent on swarming for some reason, felt like a daily occurrence (exaggerating) So today, off they go way up in a tree. This hive had a primary swarm last week of April, lots of queen cells, but still no laying queen! I think every queen that emerged took off.

Well today I figured it out. The honey super (which was too much space for them I realize now) was completely empty, not a single bee. When I popped the lid, a yellow jacket flew out. Lo and behold, there is a yellow jacket nest getting started above the inner cover. The inner cover was stuck to the underside of the lid, so that is how I missed it for so long I think.

Gave them a frame of eggs, but they are not in good shape atm.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Long Story if anyone wants to help:

Current situation:

2 hives, double 10 frame deeps.

#1 is as described, swarmed to death, I think. Still a fair amount of bees, some honey/pollen but only a small handful of capped brood left. Swarmed last week of April, lots of queen cells at the time, this was my strongest hive. I added a frame of eggs today, but not sure if that is going to do anything.

#2 I split when #1 swarmed. I had planned to split both, but missed #1 by a dat, they are looking strong right now but I think they may have had a swarm or two as well. I have been poking around too much so I want to give them time, so not sure of a laying queen yet

Double NUC Resource Hive

One side is the split from #2, she is laying, they are building up.

Other side is a swarm I caught yesterday, hoping they stay and start to build up, swarm was probably from one of mine.

5 Frame Nuc Box

I put a frame out of #2 with some capped queen cells on it as #2 had TONS of cells. Not sure what their status is yet, but I don't think there is anything laying.

I'd love to hear thoughts on what I have done so far and what I should think about moving ahead. At this point I think I am just going to be patient and see what works out. I really want to get the 10 frames queenright so they can start making honey!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts