Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw several yellow jackets hanging around my hive this morning and closer look some of them were trying to fly off with a couple dead drones on ground. Do I need to worry about them bringing back more yellow jackets and trying to get into the hive? Food sources have slowed down and I'm worried about them deciding to rob my bees. Is this the time to add an entrance reducer or just keep a close eye on things? To new to know :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Interesting drone removal squad! I think a few around are normal and if more start showing up you might start with a entrance reducer but keep in mind you probably have a good flow going on now with late summer- early fall flora. Also keep an eye on any swarmed hives or weak hive especially- if the YJ starts to become bullies -they have to go! B

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
This is the time of year when yellow jackets are done with their own hive jobs. They don't need protein to feed their own young anymore, their queen has laid her eggs for next year and is gone, and they are f-r-e-e to have fun and get drunk on nectar until the frost kills them. So, they're hanging at the local tavern, which happens to be your hives.

I smash them with my hive tool when I see them. We sprayed the nests under the eaves that I had been leaving all summer because yellow jackets do help keep insects under control in the garden in the summer. I now have robber screens on some of my hives anyway and am planning to put the screens on all of them, so hopefully that helps. And yup, I'd keep an entrance reducer on the hives all summer long anyway.

·
Registered
739 Posts
The yellow jackets are hanging around my hives also, but are just above the ground in front of the hives, chowing down on what they find there. Once in a while a stray tries to get into a hive, but they are quickly repelled by the bees. If the hives were weak, or the yellow jackets over abundant, there might be a problem, but other than that they are not.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. They are still hanging around some of the day, morning mostly but they tend to be after anything dead on the ground. Bees don't seem disturbed by them so I will just keep a close eye on them and watch their numbers :)

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
After a bout of robbing I reduced all my entrances, yellow jacket numbers are going up here, not bad but had been seeing 1-2 hanging around. Yesterday evening there were8-10. I stomp em. They were eating drone parts. I just cant stand them. Been attacked too many times in the past. G

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
If they are doing their job, why kill them and attract something else to clean up those dead bees? Like skunks.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
As is so true about many aspects of beekeeping, a strong colony will take care of itself, most of the time. Yellowjackets have their place in the ecosystem. But killing one or two won't effect the YJ population much, so go ahead if it makes you feel better.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Well, if you want mine, I can ship them to you. :) I also have a huge hornet's nest if you want that too, no way I'm bothering with that one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts