Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy boys and girls.

Wonder if any of you have used Termidor for yellow jacket elimination.

This product works on bait. The YJ's contact/ingest the product from bait and subsequent individuals that come in contact with the contaminated "host" become eliminated.

The question is . . . . my bees water heavily on a bird bath. The YJ's do too, later in the season. Would the YJ's contact with the water source be enough to pass this on to my girls?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does not attract any insects. You put it on tuna or whatever and then the YJ's ingest/contact it and pass it on (by contact, etc) to other individuals. It only lasts like 3 days.

I've used it, and it kills colonies, as the YJ's take it back to the hive. But I was not keeping honey bees back then. The only issue would be infected YJ's coming in contact with my honey bees.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Do you have such a problem you feel the need to eliminate the nest:scratch: They have their beneficial side. If you have a particular area that is a problem,,,there are some traps you can buy or make that use "meat" as a bait and you only trap the ones that come to that area. MO

Rick SoMd

·
Registered
185 Posts
You could do the 2 liter soda bottle trap......its on the net, but basically you cut of the top 3rd invert it and staple back in place. fill about 1/5th with water and a peice of meat. lay it on its side near your hives or wherever and let it do its thing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I use the 2 liter bottle traps with bacon or fish, they are awesome;
The whole nest ends up in there - when it's full just throw it away!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.