Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Those of you that use yeast as a pollen substitute, what do you do to kill the yeast, if anything? Or do you buy already dead yeast?

Do you know of any problems with using Champagne yeast?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Brewers yeast fed to bees is not active. I'm pretty sure its the dried powdered sludge left over from brewing beer.Comes in 50lb bags or totes.

·
Registered
143 Posts
So , I brew beer, and after the primary fermentation, I have about 1/4 -3/8" of yeast on the bottom of the carboy. When I rack to my secondary, this yeast, and other dregs, are left behind. I usually flush it down the drain to help the septic system. Based on the last tread, would it be better to save and dry this yeast /hops mixture and give it to my bees? Anyone doing this? thanks. BTW, brewing is a nice complement to beekeeping - something that keeps me out of my wife's hair in the fall/winter.:popcorn: Paul

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I'm pretty sure its the dried powdered sludge left over from brewing beer
It sure can be!
I bought some COORS brewers yeast in 1980, opened it up and it smelled like Devils Food cake mix. The bees liked it.
Ernie

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I got some of that too. Through Dadant if I remember right. The bees loved it.I guess thats why i figured it was leftovers from beer brewing.We have been using Brewtech from Pat Heitkam for some years now with good results.
--Mike
ps Ernie-your pm box is FULL!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Would the remnants of hops in the dregs present a problem for the bee's? Wondring if they find those alpha acids as tasty as we do.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
:D This is very interesting. I never heard of this before, but there is a lot I haven't heard. I would be scared to try this because 10 hives of drunk bees would/could terrorize the neighborhood. I seen a herd of drunk cows once from brewery waste. It wasn't pretty to say the least.:D

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hambone, That is very interesting. Thanks. I'm an avid home brewer and have several home-brewin' friends. This sounds like it would be worth a try...and might well yield something useful from something that is generally thrown away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts