Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if there are reasons that this wouldn't work.
I know that some people in cold climates winter their bees in cellars or heavily insulated, well-ventilated buildings. And I know that bees often take up residence inside buildings (inside walls or attics) and apparently thrive there.
So would it be possible to keep several hives in a specially constructed (as weather proof and bear resistant as possible) building year round, with bee exits in the walls? Has anybody done this or heard of anyone doing this? Surely it's been tried before, somewhere, somehow, someday...

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Loren

I think it's pretty common in Europe
sometimes they're on wagons or trailers so they can move em around for pollenation
it's been discussed here before
somebody will come along with some links for you

Dave

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
Do a search on "indoor wintering" or any other combination that makes sense. Indoor wintering has been discussed many times.

I think the main reason that keeping them in cellars went out of style is that it's expensive, labor intensive and not necessary.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input everyone! I just did a search and found some very helpful, interesting stuff, but it's mostly about wintering indoors rather than keeping them there year-round. I guess my concerns were that the hives might suffer without direct sunlight and that the bees might decide the entire building is up for grabs and build comb outside their hives. Also it seems like being in a confined space rather than the great outdoors it might be difficult to work one hive without all the other bees becoming upset. Anyway, I will pm some of the people from the old topics who were considering the indoor hives route and ask if it worked out. Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Ya, iddee, they do. They are just a basic structure that puts a roof over all the hives, some have outside doors that open to expose the front of the hives to the outside. Some are only lean-too type structures that provide only three full walls, and the front is left open. I've given some thought to these in regards to safeguarding the hives from bears, and as windbreaks, but have yet to build any.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts