Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to move a small hive (two mediums) that is bearding. Is it a really bad idea to move it with the entrance open or just slightly a bad idea?

·
Registered
652 Posts
I am going to move a small hive (two mediums) that is bearding. Is it a really bad idea to move it with the entrance open or just slightly a bad idea?
how far are you moving it? would probably be easier to move them at a cooler time when they are inside.

·
Registered
531 Posts
i bring limited experience to the table, but when i move mine it's either after dark or early in the morning with everything buttoned up tight.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
If you are moving this in the bed of your pickup after dark, it's not a problem. If you are moving this in the passenger seat of your car, it may be a slightly bad idea when the dome light comes on.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well......if your going to put them in the back of your SUV and go for a ride. Screen them in. :lookout: If its just a foot or two I would just move them

If they are bearding how are you going to get them all in there before you screen them in? (if needed)

Steve

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yeah it is for real and the only post that was close to a yea or nay is post #3 so I will try to close them up. I don't want to take a leaf blower and blow them off the entrance so I can close them up. I also don't want to light the smoker but maybe I will have to.

I will tell you how it works out in a short while.

·
Registered
535 Posts
You can take a spray bottle of water and mist them a little to get them back in. Don't try to drown them just make them think it's raining.

If I'm just moving them across the yard I just move them. Suit up because when they start shaking they'll come out looking for bear.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I had a hive that had been bearding lately. Came home yesterday in a misting rain and noticed a big cluster on the front of the hive. I rounded up some drawn comb that I was going to melt down and put it in a deep box. Then I put the box on the other 2 deeps that were packed full of bees. The cluster moved inside in a short time. I figure there was no room for them. As soon as the weather breaks, I am going to split that hive.

Yes, I would encourage them to move inside and close them up to move.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
It's kind of warm here lately to be closing a colony in a hive unless you use a moving screen on top and screen at the entrance. Whereas, if you add a box and smoke them to encourage them to go inside and then load them onto your truck, that would work. But can you pick them up, Brian? What w/ your back and all.

You never said why you were moving them.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK just got back. The move went great and then we got jabber jawing.

Sorry for the lack of info but now I will fill you in.
The move was by ford 250 super duty 5 miles away. I knew smoke would work but I was looking for another alternative. I thought about misting with sugar water but I didn't want to try something that I have never done before thinking it would create a problem when I got to the new location. The bed of my truck has a rubber mat so I just couldn't put the smoker on the bed of the truck once I lit it. I lit the smoker with a short roll of cardboard, about 2.5 inches. I needed it just about 10 seconds to get the stick in to close off the entrance. Then I pulled out the cardboard and stomped out the flames. Mark I have SBB so no problem with ventilation. There is even a notch in the inner cover at the top. I use some duct tape to close it off but that was kinda of a joke with the tele cover on there ratchet strapped down.
Mark I used a hand truck and wheeled the hive up an down some aluminum ramps that I use to transport lawn mowers. It was too heavy and bulky for me to lift but worked like a charm with the hand cart.

The bees did not mind the transport but they did not like me pulling the boxes apart when I went to set the hive. The hive I transported was two mediums and I put them on top of two empty drawn deeps.

Why did I move them?
After doing two willy nilly splits in the past couple of weeks the drifters went to the dink hive and that made it over packed. Bearding all night long. They must like the smell of the queen. I promised my girl friend bees for the past couple of years and now was the time to follow through on my promise. Again I don't have enough equipment because I planned on not working more than 4 hives. The dink put me at five so I had to use the deeps that have been sitting in the yard for two years. One of my splits is bound to be a dud and that will put me back at my wintering level of 3. My biggest concern now is what happens if the hive I just moved takes off. Who has the time?

Mark, I wished you had chimed in earlier but the short charge on the smoker worked just fine. These are very docile bees. I should say that I moved the hive fifty feet prior at around noon today in an attempt to relieve some of the bearding and it did not work as I hoped. They stayed with the moved hive and there was not a large population (actually next to none) back at the old location. I don't know why that happened.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Get yourself a galvanized metal bucket to carry your smoker in and you can set it in the back of your truck.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I thought about using a paint can but they are all plastic these days. The need came up real quick. I will be better prepared next time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts