Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally going to be out of school for the summer, temps are up like crazy...I have spring fever!!!! :D

Dad checked out the two hives today while I was at school and says they look good. They've eaten about half the honey stores, and are bringing in pollen. One queen is laying (saw capped brood), he didn't look too close at the other hive though.

We want to split them both, think this is a good time? Temps are evening out good, barring any storms coming in, trees are sprouting, grass is green. Both hives have about 8 full frames of honey in them. What's the best route? I'd like to get the order in for queens this week while I can and while there isn't a huge rush for them yet. I'm thinking Russians, wonder if they buzz around to the tune of the Hunt for Red October?
The place I talked to has some available next week and so I want to get this going. Am I jumping the gun? If not, what do you guys recommend to do?

[ April 04, 2006, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Amanda2fan ]

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, supposed to ask what is your opinion of plastic inner and outer covers, and where is the best place to get them? :D

[ April 04, 2006, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: Amanda2fan ]

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I dont' have a plastic outer cover, but I'm sure they're fine. Walter Kelley sells some I just found out. And these are equiped with channels for them to enter and exit through the top.

As for plastic inner ones. I can only say that I want my inner covers to be sturdy. I want to be able to sit a jar of feed on it without it bowing down too far. And I want to be able to pry it off without breaking it. But, since I've never had one made from plastic, I don't know how well they work.

I'm surprised you can fine queens still. this is the time of the year they sell like .... well, like queen bees to beekeepers in the spring-time. I'll let those near you reply to what you should do regarding split-timing.

Waya

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
How high up are you? It's too early to split here and I'm in the lowlands of Southeastern Nebraska. When I was in Laramie, I wouldn't be splitting this early. But then I don't have Italians anymore and these feral bees aren't the type to build up a lot very early.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We're lower than Laramie, about 4200 feet, we climb over a thousand feet just to go to Cheyenne.

·
Registered
812 Posts
>>>your opinion of plastic inner

I have a couple that came with some used equipment that I bought when getting started. They are trash.

The plastic brood boxes and supers are fine. The plastic bottem boards are marginal (and are mostly used on bait boxes since I have switched to SBBs). The tops appear to be fiberglass and are fine. The inner covers are warped so bad that they are unusable.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dad bought some wood inner covers and they warped really fast. He says they weren't made from masonite...anyone know where to find good wooden ones?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts