Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...ya lose. The neighbor who had the bees in the pecan tree called last week and said she had another "swarm" that was keeping her from her grapevines. I have been busy working trying to make money so I can affor dmy bee hobby, so I didn't call her back. I went yesterday to see the man about the bees in the gourd, and stopped by to check on the two other tree colonies. I asked the husband, who happens to be a farmer and part-time agricultural extension agent, about the current status of the bees. He said, " I know how to take care of bees. I sprayed 'em with Sevin. I can't have no bees around, 'specially when they bite the grandson." End of story.

G

·
I knowe it's one of the things that I see alot when people want bees removed from tree and houses. You try and tell people about the bees but they still don't care...."Just get rid of them!".

Well maybe next time

BB

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had a farmer(he lives about two miles from my hives) call me up and tell me that my bees are under his sisters porch! I explain that I have not had any swarms that I am aware of. He want to know what color my bees were. I told him--Yep they must be yours. I ask if they were in a cluster "No, they just flying back and forth." I said That the bees must be after something sweet he replied that they must be after the sugar water from the hummingbird feeders . I ask him to remove the feeder, he said " I already did that and sprayed with wasp spray and threw sevin dust under there and was going to mix up some antifreeze to put in the hummingbird feed, the birdbath and gonna spray it under the deck "that'll get them"!!! It blows my mind!

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Ignorant fools.Like the guy that told me he hated all the bees working on his apple blossoms and was spraying them with diazinon!

·
Registered
32 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Like the guy that told me he hated all the bees working on his apple blossoms and was spraying them with diazinon!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats the best one I've heard yet Mike....what a bloody drongo!

I wonder if he was supprised at how poor his apple crop was.......

jim

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Understanding that some people have a very irrational fear of buzzing insects,I patiently tried to explain the pollination process to the man but I dont know if it had any effect.He seemed to think it was a property rights issue,and that I was trying to tell him what he could do on his own property.I wasnt.The only time I really lost it was the time the local mosquito control district had a spray plane dump a load of malathion right over a beeyard.I stormed into their office madder than a hornet.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I've lost a lot of bees to malthion spraying for mosquitoes. Never when they sprayed at night. But they always seem to do it during the day when it doesn't kill any mosquitoes and does kill a lot of bees as opposed to spraying at night when it kills lots of mosquitoes and hardly any bees.

Some people (the applicator in this case) don't think, don't read and follow directions and like to waste a lot of my money (it was the city that did it) and my bees.

·
Banned
182 Posts
Michael; That is how it works with government. They will tell you that things should be done very late or early in the day but they do them mid day because they work an 8 hour day and that is not in the evening. I have run into this in other then beekeeping, but related to farming and cattle raising.

On a better note. My 5 yr old grandaughter got stung the other day. When she got through squeling, she told her mother, "It wasn't one of grandpaws bees. They are nice bees". I do think it was a yellow jacket. Of course, MY grandaughter couldn't be wrong!!!

------------------
Erwin

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
You are right Michael,they sprayed this yard during the day.My sister (the bees were on her ranch)saw the plane spray right on top of the bees and she called me .When I got there ,bees were piling up dying in front of the hives.The air reeked of malathion.That yard took all summer to recover and never made a drop of honey.After I went in and yelled at the manager ,he denied it but promised it would never happen again(ha),and there have been no problems for many years.They realised around that time that the mosquitoes here are totally resistant to Malathion and use mosquito fish and larvacides mostly.West Nile has started showing up in Cal.so we can probably expect some knee-jerk spray programs to start up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts