Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had wax moths problem for awhile. Quick background - I ran probably 15 hives at some point, then got rid of bees but kept equipment. At some point in storage I got a really bad infestation. I tried freezing and bags it failed. I scraped everything down and that helped but it never eliminated it. Have probably 30 boxes and frames in storage at this time. This time of year the basement gets warm and it gets bad.

I pulled all my equipment out and I am currently spraying the boxes with a backpack sprayer inside and out.

I am dunking the frames and top/bottom birds fully submerged in a Rubbermaid tote.

3tsp per gallon.

I see larvae, pupae, frass, and moths.

Will leave out to dry in sun.

Anything else I need to consider? I need this to go away.

·
Registered
914 Posts
nediver,

In the past, we have had a large problem with the wax moths. In fact, we lost hundreds of frames of fully built up comb to the moths.

The solution that we used was very fast and very effective:

1. Remove all frames that have comb.
2. Line up all the frames on the ground, leaning against a wall.
3. Using a 4 gallon back pack sprayer, spray all frames with a solution of Xentari [2-3 teaspoons per gallon].
4. Flip the frames over.
5. Spray the other side.
6. Let the frames dry out for a day or so [prevents mold].
7. Reinstall the frames to the boxes.

Special note: frames are then good for about one full year. If stored longer than one year, you will need to spray again.

We have found this method incredibly effective and it literally removes all wax moths. If done correctly, you will have zero wax moths.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I agree that Xentari controls wax moths very effectively on honey frames. It does not work as well on brood frames or frames that have pollen in them. It appears that on my frames that are sprayed, wax moth larvae does get on it but doesn't do any damage. I see wax moth poop on the frames but there is no damage from tunnels.

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
BT does not work well when frames sprayed with it are stored in a hot shed, 85+ There was an article that I’ll try and reference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts