Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who use XENTARI ( bacillus thuringiensis, sup. aizawai ) to control wax moths, I am looking for the amount of XENTARI to add to ONE gallon of water to control wax moths. What I found for CERTAN was 1:19 in water....

On this forum I see any where from 1 teaspoon to 4 teaspoons per gallon...to control wax moths...

Anyone have any ideas who use this product?

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I use i tsp dry powder per gal, & it works fine.
If I'm not mistaken certan in in a liquid solution, so it would be different.

·
Registered
327 Posts
How is it applied? Sprayed on foundation and woodenware? How often does it need to be reapplied? Can it be used on brood frames and honey frames?

I hate wax moths and SHB's!!!!!!

·
Registered
Bee Wrangler
763 Posts
I do freeze all of my frames for a couple of days before misting with BT.

Be sure to mix well in the water.
Yes just a fine spray from a hand held spray bottle or if you have many to do then mix a small batch in the garden sprayer. Just be sure to get a fine mist down into the cells, no need to drench them, if water is pouring out of the cells you are just wasting it.

Just a good misting and down into the cells.

Let them air dry before putting them away. We stand the frames up on end three or four together, they look like tepees scattered all over the yard. If put up wet they will usually mold a little.

I like to take an outer cover and turn it upside down on the floor and then stack supers up with news paper in between each super and then top off with another outer cover (a piece of plywood could be used for this).

The mix will only be good for 2 maybe 3 days before it starts to go bad.

Mix in small batches, easier to mix more than throw it out.

Don't inhale the BT powder!

Clarification to my earlier post (my wife usually does the spray work)........
2 teaspoons per gallon
about 30 deep frames or 45 mediums per quart

Yep sounds like a lot of work but sure is nice to pull that stack apart next spring to some very nice comb!!

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
It kills larva wax moth larva when they start to eat frames. I use it on frames that are going to be stored off beehives for future use.
The frames can be used as brood frames or honey frames once the BT dries.

If a living beehive has wax moth problems the hive is too big for the bee population. Its best to reduce the size of the hive.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I contacted VALENT and the representative was only mildly helpful.
do not use any formulation in this thread from me here until I hear back from the state entomologist

The XENTARI product is meant to be used comercially on a grand scale and the directions for use on the product insert are so useless for beekeppers because the intended use is really for crops as in POUNDS per ACRE which he said translates to a tablespoon per gallon but for our application he said a FOURTH TABLESPOON per Gallon.

To me this was a little too imprecise for me and I told him. I would like to feel good about something in grams per liter or something.......SO he directed me to my state entemologist at Virginia Tech and I am waiting to hear from him I guess on Monday.

·
Registered
134 Posts
XENTARI is a biological pesticide that targets the lepidoptera order of insects; it is only effective when ingested by a lepidoptera (in this case wax moth) larvae. The concentration is therefore not that critical, as the liquid here is more of a transfer agent.

I've been using it for about 4 years; 1/2 teaspoon per about a liter pump sprayer. No wax moth problems. I just spray all extracted combs and any dead-out combs.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Here is a picture of the instructions for Xentari BT. I've highlighted the area for mixing small amounts. You'll have to decide if you want a strong dose or a weak dose. I use the high end of the scale when I mix my solution. The highlighted instructions are for a one gallon mix.

Attachments

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"The concentration is therefore not that critical, as the liquid here is more of a transfer agent. I've been using it for about 4 years; 1/2 teaspoon per about a liter pump sprayer. No wax moth problems. I just spray all extracted combs and any dead-out combs."

Alright I am sold....I read the lit on BTa, and no matter how many times I read it the word insectacide still imprints on my head like neon......but now it makes sense that [concentration] and water is a transfer agent now make a lot more sense. Why would they make instructions to make a strong or a weak solution in a gallon. Questions of efficacy come into mind....

I'll go with the 3/4 teaspoon per gallon equivalent per gallon..

DEATH TO WAX MOTH LARVAE !!!!!

THANK YOU ALL

Here is a picture of the instructions for Xentari BT. I've highlighted the area for mixing small amounts. You'll have to decide if you want a strong dose or a weak dose. I use the high end of the scale when I mix my solution. The highlighted instructions are for a one gallon mix.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
On the wax moth issue.

I saw wax moth on stored empty frames for the first time last week. I put them on the hives.

Will the bees clean it up?

I also have several deeps of capped honey...way more than is practical to freeze in a home freezer and once out of the freezer aren't they once again lunch for wax moths? Do wax moths eat up capped honey frames?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
The entomologist should tell you its not approved for bee hive use in the US.
He/she wouldn't jeopardize their job by telling you how to use it.

do not use any formulation in this thread from me here until I hear back from the state entomologist

·
Registered
166 Posts
Strong solution versus weak solution? Larvae just have to eat more comb before dying with the weak solution... But, since it doesn't take much to kill them it isn't too big of a concern.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think this product was certified for wax moth but the certification ran out and it cost BIG DOLLARS to re-certify a product to target one class of organisms as BTa does , so there it is-the bottom line.....
The entomologist should tell you its not approved for bee hive use in the US.
He/she wouldn't jeopardize their job by telling you how to use it.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Yep it ran out... why would you, beekeeper, pay $$$ for it bottle as bee use when you could get the same identical active ingredient for pennies for use on crops. Wonder why they let it expire ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure if this is the chemical I was told about but the older gentleman told me to spray the solution in a 3 ft diameter around the bee hive it would kill the larvae that was in the ground around the hive. I think he was talking about wax moths when he told me this. Just wish I could remember, lol

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Not sure if this is the chemical I was told about but the older gentleman told me to spray the solution in a 3 ft diameter around the bee hive it would kill the larvae that was in the ground around the hive. I think he was talking about wax moths when he told me this. Just wish I could remember, lol
Waxmoth larva pupate in the hive so a ground application would have no effect. SHB larva pupate in the ground, but Xentari is probably the wrong nematode for them.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OH GOSH......XENTARI is specific for WAX moth and it is NOT a nematode, I think it is a bacillus. What I think you are talking about is the Heterorhabditis indica nematode that seeks and destroys white larva grubs like SHB and japanese beetles.
Waxmoth larva pupate in the hive so a ground application would have no effect. SHB larva pupate in the ground, but Xentari is probably the wrong nematode for them.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
OH GOSH......XENTARI is specific for WAX moth and it is NOT a nematode, I think it is a bacillus. What I think you are talking about is the Heterorhabditis indica nematode that seeks and destroys white larva grubs like SHB and japanese beetles.
You are absolutely correct and I am absolutely wrong, not a nematode but a bacterium. Thanks for the correction. But as I said, no effect on wax moth when applied as a ground drench as the moths pupate (and more importantly, feed, in the hive. No effect against SHB either.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well it a breath mint and a floor wax.....
You are absolutely correct and I am absolutely wrong, not a nematode but a bacterium. Thanks for the correction. But as I said, no effect on wax moth when applied as a ground drench as the moths pupate (and more importantly, feed, in the hive. No effect against SHB either.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts