Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my first cuttout about 2 weeks ago. Rubberbanded brood comb in empty frames bla bla bla. There were several brood heavy areas in layers of wavy (about a 2" depth wave) comb back to back. so i took those sections and just re stacked them in the cut out frames. about 3 frames total.

FYI i did several splits from the like 15 capped queen cells i found in the hive.

Check on them today and of all my splits the one with the wavy comb is doing the best by far. They are currently in a 5 frame nuc and the other 1 frames are made up of some honey comb i rubberbanded for them and an old plastic foundation frame on the outside that they show little interest in (go figure)

The wavy comb has hatched out and virtually all of it is layed up with new eggs.

What to do?

I think the standard "fix" for this is to move them to a 10 frame box, (then when timing is right), add a second deep, then find the queen add an excluder then make shure she is on the straight comb side wait until the brood from the wavy comb has hatched out then remove it from the box.

But that process sounds like it would take the rest of the summer.....Can you do the above with a double stacked nuc? so that you dont have to wait as long (draw out as many frames etc)

Here is my BIG issue. I'm short on drawn frames of deep comb. (i have plenty of wooden ware and could get some foundation if i had to... but that starts the whole foundation vs foundationless which-draws-quicker debate which im not focused on at the moment)

I have 2 "strong" hives that i could pull frames from im unsure as to how much i could pull from them and what kind of timing i need other than 3 weeks for eggs to hatch for workers.

Did I mention im short on drawn deep frames? I just hived a swarm (last thrus) from one of my own hives and was only able to give them like 2 drawn deeps, they are currently in a 10 frame box but probably should be reduced down to a nuc due to lack of drawn frames, at the time i didnt have any more nuc boxes left)

Advise on moving to meds? I have 20+ frames frames of drawn med comb i could add but my nucs aren't setup for meds.

I run my hives with one deep and the rest med. In the summer the second med always has brood in it. I could rob these brood combs with nurse bees for my nucs. 1) not as big of a hit to my large hives, 2) provides a boost to the weeker nucs. BUT my nucs aren't setup for meds....

Does it make sense to make some small 5 frame med supers to add ontop of the deep nucs?

On a personal note, Ive been doing this as a part time hobby now for 7 years but when it comes to this type of stuff I still feel like a noob. Then hardly ever delt with splits etc. Mostly only worked my 2 hives and was happy with that. Shure Ive WANTED to expand to more hives, but issues like the above always seemed to thwart my efforts in the past....

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
There's nothing wrong with having mediums on top of deeps for brood. Most of my hives are like that, I have a hard time lifting 10 frame deeps anyway. You can put medium drawn frames into deeps. The bees will draw comb on the bottom of the mediums to fill the space, usually it will be straight (at least in my experience with my bees). I have had problems when I mixed drawn and foundation-the bees sometimes draw the drawn comb out even further and don't draw the foundation. Put the medium 5frame supers on top of the nuts, won't hurt anything.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts