Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I stopped wearing watches, most everyone in our club that doesn't where gloves gets stung around the watch. I think tendency to sting is more to do with reflection of glass face than color alone. Much like cameras how bees tend to bump the lens.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've already been told "Adrian! That's a girls name." Burns, I'll report later in the summer as to whether it has made a difference. Perhaps, with it being pretty, they'll like it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I stopped wearing watches, most everyone in our club that doesn't where gloves gets stung around the watch. I think tendency to sting is more to do with reflection of glass face than color alone. Much like cameras how bees tend to bump the lens.

+1 on above...I almost always go gloveless, and it didn't take long figure out that I always seemed to get stung there. Stopped wearing it and...Problem gone! :)

·
Registered
6,700 Posts
I think the watch goes very well with the pink bee boxes, although it seems to be about five minutes fast!

I think you have a great idea and should give it a try. A smooth white band might be less threatening to the bees than the black fuzzy one.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
I stopped wearing watches about 7 years ago when I found that I have a cell phone with me most to the time. When I'm working bees the phone is in the truck, so I can just walk a few feet to the truck if needed. I gotta believe that watch makers are hating cell phones.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I don't know why anyone needs a watch while beekeeping. Work your bees until you're done, or you collapse from heatstroke.😁:)

·
Registered
11,720 Posts
Instinct guides bees trying to sting to areas that may be vulnerable and that's where things contrast. If there's a rip in your pants for example amazing how they will zone in to it. Likewise a wristwatch makes a contrast they will have a go at. Combine that with as you work the hive the watch is always getting moved around and is close to the bees, bees will zap off the comb straight to the watch & sting you there.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gunter: I like my food hot and my wife smiling; I like to time how long things take to see if I am developing any efficiency; I get the occasional visitor; I like my cell phone to remain propolis free; Hanging a clock in the bee yard just doesn't seem right; I still want to wear a watch.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>I keep my watch in my watch pocket

I do to, but that’s because it’s a pocket watch…

>I stopped wearing watches about 7 years ago when I found that I have a cell phone with me most to the time.

I stopped wearing a watch 49 years ago... but the cell phone as a watch presents two problems for me. I spend a lot of time at work, where I’m not allowed a cell phone, and a lot of time on airplanes where I’m not allowed to have it turned on…

·
Registered
641 Posts
I use a rock to work bees by. If the sun is shining on it work bees, if not, don't. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts