Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So.... I splurged and purchased a Brushy Mountain bee tool box.. http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Tools-Included-Merrill-Tool-Box/productinfo/247TI/
After being excited over the prospect of it having compartments for all basic tools, as well as doubling as frame holder, temporary bee transporter and a stool- I must say I am a little disappointed by the craftsmanship. Upon unpacking it I noticed there were pen marks on the wood, the lid was split near the edge, inside the wood near the hinge was blown out from a nail, and the workmanship just seemed a little shoddy. I admit, it has the potential to be a great box, it just didn't seem to be put together with much care. I really want to like this box and sending it back seems like a bit of a headache even though they did include shipping supplies to make the return as easy as possible if need be. (Which is very nice.) :)
What do you think, Beeks? Would you send it back or just slap some wood glue on it and call it a day?
bee tool box w smoker.jpg bee box collage.jpg bee box.jpg

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I probably would not go through the hassle of a return if it was fully functional. If it were a piece of furniture...yes I would return it. They have a guarantee so will take it back if it bothers you.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I would send it back I will not buy or keep anything I would not sell. and from your description I would not put an Item like that on the sales floor. people work too hard for their money to accept anything but fair quality. And I bet Brushy Mountain will make things right. I have never had a problem with them. If they do not treat you fairly let us know.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Sweetbees I have the same box and love it. I had a problem with some supers that I got from Brushy Mnt and they were great about resolving the problem. Call them up, they will fix the problem, and you will be happy you did. If its just the lid that is split, just ask for another, that way you don't have to do any shipping. The pen marks can be sanded out. I took all the hardware off of mine and stained it, the lid comes of very easy.

Steve

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
for $95 you get a smoker that is worth $30, frame grips, hive tool, frame perch and a brush along with a box that is clearly pictured as just a pine board box. Just what sort of "Quality" would you expect for that kind of money? You are buying a wood box that serves as the packaging for the other times folks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Contact their customer service people and tell them that for a second quality box you want a second quality price. Otherwise have them replace it with a first quality box at their expense. Done.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Everytime I have ordered from Brushy Mountain, they have included a form requesting feedback and to contact them if you have any problems with an item.

I would contact them and request a replacement. They should pay for shipping both ways.

The times I have called them they have been very friendly and helpful.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Talk to Brushy Mountain people . Be nice, explain that you like this item but the workmanship doesn't meet your expectations. Is this their usual quality or did this box slip through quality control ? Sure, you could fix it but you shouldn't have to repair a brand new item. Maybe ask for a reasonable discount on your next purchase? Saves you the hassle of shipping and them the cost of shipping two ways.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have ordered from them several times...had an item or two damaged in shipping....These folks give the best customer service! Call them and explain....I assure you they will help you resolve it to your 100% satisfaction! Personally if it was just a cracked lid and I could glue it and clamp it til it dries that's what I would do....mainly because it would not stay new and shiny looking for long with me using it anyways. :) But, I think you should give them a call and come up with what makes you happy, and I am certain that is exactly what they would want you to do also...after all, a satisfied customer is the best advertisement!

·
Registered
156 Posts
The company is very good about making sure you are happy. They made a mistake on my order last year, and I called them and they not only made it right, they had me keep the mistaken piece. I suggest the fair thing to do and nicely call them and explain that the box is less than stellar. Offer to email them some pics of the damaged one and ask them what their remedy is. I am willing to bet their remedy will be to not only send you a new one, but likely will have you keep the bad one. Definatley give them a chance to remedy the situation.

·
Registered
329 Posts
for $95 you get a smoker that is worth $30, frame grips, hive tool, frame perch and a brush along with a box that is clearly pictured as just a pine board box. Just what sort of "Quality" would you expect for that kind of money? You are buying a wood box that serves as the packaging for the other times folks.
Daniel, I guess my thoughts on this would be. Do you think this would be the one they would put out on the floor as their "demo". If not, then is it what they should put in the customer's hand after the sale?

This isn't a judgment on BM, we will see what they do and I think they will take care of it. I'm just saying, we shouldn't settle for what we know isn't right.

·
Registered
346 Posts
At the minimum, I would contact them and tell them and show the pictures you showed us.

Tell them you expected better quality, but that you would like it to be "right" with you. If you a handy man, tell them you can fix it yourself, but you would either like a reduced price or a % off your next order. If you don't think you can fix it, have them send you a new one with them paying for the one you have to be returned.

I'm quite certain they will make it right with you, especially if you tell them you've started a thread about it on a public forum.

If they don't, let us know.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm going to agree with sfisher on this one. I have been buying from BM for 9 years now & have not had any problems. They are good folks & I think if you let them know they will make it right. Like sfisher said, tell them you want a new lid, sand the marks off as someone suggested & paint or stain it if you wish. Whatever you decide I think they will take care of you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts