Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard of folks using 3 mediums instead of 2 deeps as the brood chambers. I am wondering...could I use 1 deep + 2 mediums instead? What might be the advantages? disadvantages? I have extra mediums and not quite enough deeps.

How do you switch over? anyone who has switched to mediums have any advice on making the change?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Some beekeepers here in Ontario have switched from 2 deeps to 1 deep and 1 medium... and are having success overwintering them.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I have seen a lot of threads on this, and from what I have read it doesn't matter what configuration of deeps and mediums you use - the key is ensuring that there is enough stored honey for overwintering. How much you need depends where you are in the country.
Adrian.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great - thanks to all for weighing in. Now how do you begin to switch over? can you only do it with new packages or come spring when the boxes are more empty? or is there a grand trick that the bees haven't told me yet?:scratch:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I'm trying a deep and two mediums this year on a few hives. Since these were new hives in the spring, it was just a matter of adding a deep on top of the mediums they were hived in.

If it were early enough in the season, you could pull a medium brood box off for a walk-away split and replace it with a deep.

You could also just put medium frames in the deep box as I've done in some late nucs. The bees will build down off the bottom bar though the results are not always the best.

Wayne

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I see. but in my case I need to replace the deeps with mediums. if it were the other way I could just let the girls add to the medium frames at the bottoms. This may tricker than I thought.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Perhaps you can start to cycle the second deep out of use by putting a medium with comb or foundation over the lower deep then a queen excluder and the second deep over that. The brood up top will hatch and no new eggs will be laid in it (if you made sure the queen is in the lower deep.) Watch for the bees to fill the deep frames with honey so pull them as they become brood-free and replace them with medium foundation frames. If your timing is right, you should be able to move all the medium frames into another medium box before the bees start drawing out the space below the bottom bar and then remove the queen excluder.

Wayne

1 - 10 of 10 Posts