Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard if you take a Plastic Queen Excluder and turn it sideways the bees will work the upper supers with out filling the queen excluder with wax because they have a way to access the top witout going thru the excluder. I never use Queen Excluder because they do not like to go thru them. It sounds like it might work because the queen layes in the brood chamber not in the very outside comb.

·
Registered
577 Posts
This procedure works fairly well. I used to turn the excluder side ways so as not to hinder the bees from moving up into the supers and the queen rarely laid in the supers. However, I finally figured out that if you wait until the super on top of the brood nest is partially filled with nectar or brood, then you can place an excluder under that super and bees will not hesitate to work in the supers. If there is brood in that bottom super, it will emerge and the cells will be filled with nectar. If you place your queen excluder while there is nothing but drawn comb in the supers, then the bees are slow to enter them.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
On metal excluders that get wires bent from a hive tool on the perimeter a queen will find her way through the bad spot. I think turning the excluder will not work keeping her down. Allowing the bees to start working in a super then driving them down with a bee repellant then slipping in the excluder under the super is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Let me throw a little twist into this discusssion. Since it is fairly accurate that the queen doesn't lay in the outside frames, why not use a 8 frame excluder? It would allow the workers to go up unimpeded at the edges. I kinda think that this along with a top entrance you will make more honey.:s

1 - 7 of 7 Posts