Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I placed 20 used comb frames in the 0[SUP]o[/SUP] freezer for 2 weeks, then placed them in a plastic bin (clamped shut, but I'm pretty sure it's not air-tight) in my house. Not sure if SHB eggs survived the freezing or beetles got into my house and then into the bin and put down the eggs, but regardless ... I surrounded the outside base of the bin with DE -- but it's food-grade (!) DE and not the regular. The store only had food-grade at my visit.

I read someplace the food-grade is the more desirable to kill the maggots, but I'm seeing the vermin on my ceiling (!) near the bin. Seems to me that regular DE would have the sharp edges needed to kill the maggots, and that food-grade would be ground so smoothly that it would be ineffective. :scratch:

Does anybody have experience with this? Or .... could recommended another way to fight the vermin?

Thx a heap for any suggestions or ideas ....

Mitch

·
Registered
7,787 Posts
Are you sure that they're shb? Wax moths are good at finding comb...pretty much anywhere.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you sure that they're shb? Wax moths are good at finding comb...pretty much anywhere.
Unless I'm totally off-base here .... I believe SHB larvae're tiny, whitish-yellow things that resist being squashed (when I'm wearing rubber gloves). The moth maggots're fat, gray creatures that smoosh w/ no problem. Is this your understanding, mandan?.....

Then again: I had to put moth balls into a bin last week to kill a zillion moths flitting around in there. I've also seen the tiny moths in my house (walls, ceilings, even shirts hanging up!). Haven't seen a beetle yet, though. Maybe I have the SHB maggot ID backward?

Mitch

·
Registered
7,787 Posts
Unless I'm totally off-base here .... I believe SHB larvae're tiny, whitish-yellow things that resist being squashed (when I'm wearing rubber gloves). The moth maggots're fat, gray creatures that smoosh w/ no problem. Is this your understanding, mandan?.....
When the wax moth eggs first hatch....the larvae are small. They are big and fat just before they begin to pupate.
Google both and select the image tab and you should find any number of identifying characteristics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts