Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got a half acre property… 1900sq ft house…half the property in back.. same size in front… sides bout twenty feet wide to neighbor… back yard is fenced with privacy fence.. bees are on one side of house…

yesterday we put in one of those gargantuan kids swing sets/fort thing… two swings, cedar logs make the frame… took 4 people all day to move it and assemble it in my back yard..

a bee started chasing one of the guys at the end of construction… after everyone left, i got stung on the forehead on the opposite side of the house from where the bees are…

today i can't even go in the back yard without being chased by a bee…

there are 5 hives on the side of the house.. one of them is hot.. and was gonna requeen sometime this month.. but have they gone nuts cause of the swing set or ?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hand held impact drill..

and the bees didn't bother anyone till it was almost all over…

and we mow and my neighbors mow weekly… and the hives are 5-7 feet from the fence to my neighbor..

·
Registered
641 Posts
I think that the swingset construction could be a coincidence, and that it coincided with something else. I would be thinking about dearth, some critter bothering the hives at night, or loss of a queen.

I'll bet that your kids are bummed (not to mention *you*).

·
Registered
825 Posts
The frequency of the drill may have been annoying to them and by the end of the day an irritated forager let you know...or like Chemguy says, could very well just be a fluke. We mow in front of our hives, too, and once we switched to a 4 stroke weed whacker, they are ok with that, too. They do NOT however, like it when my husband is using the table saw in the driveway (closest hives about 25 yards) ....:lookout: They'll get over it.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
i've got a half acre property… 1900sq ft house…half the property in back.. same size in front… sides bout twenty feet wide to neighbor… back yard is fenced with privacy fence.. bees are on one side of house…

yesterday we put in one of those gargantuan kids swing sets/fort thing… two swings, cedar logs make the frame… took 4 people all day to move it and assemble it in my back yard..

a bee started chasing one of the guys at the end of construction… after everyone left, i got stung on the forehead on the opposite side of the house from where the bees are…

today i can't even go in the back yard without being chased by a bee…

there are 5 hives on the side of the house.. one of them is hot.. and was gonna requeen sometime this month.. but have they gone nuts cause of the swing set or ?
Yup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts