Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Several days ago I streamed a cut-out and it was somewhat successful, although babysitting a camera phone
and an audience during such an undertaking can be very distracting.

However, doing several top bar hive inspections from various locations would be much more manageable
and laid back.

The program/app I use is https://stre.am/

It is very good quality and viewers can chat in real time with the person streaming or with others who are viewing.

It only works on phones, though.

Sooooooo, if anyone is remotely interested, I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Keep in mind also, I can work bees year-round here in Florida, so perhaps you northerners could live vicariously through me streaming inspections during the winter.

My username on stre.am is patbeerescuer

·
Registered
252 Posts

Several days ago I streamed a cut-out and it was somewhat successful, although babysitting a camera phone
and an audience during such an undertaking can be very distracting.

However, doing several top bar hive inspections from various locations would be much more manageable
and laid back.

The program/app I use is https://stre.am/

It is very good quality and viewers can chat in real time with the person streaming or with others who are viewing.

It only works on phones, though.

Sooooooo, if anyone is remotely interested, I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Keep in mind also, I can work bees year-round here in Florida, so perhaps you northerners could live vicariously through me streaming inspections during the winter.

My username on stre.am is patbeerescuer
Yes and no.
If it was a weekend Yes,
Am I forced to use and app I cant use to watch? no.
Am I forced to watch on a phone? if yes, then no. Reason being is I like seeing detail. Stream on YT? sure. Otherwise, forget it.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I'll have to also look into how one streams on YouTube.

I fully understand that it's limiting when using a program
that only offers a phone format, but the program is so nice other than that.

But if I could stream over a website like YouTube where all I have to do is provide a link rather than anyone having to download an app, that would be sweet. The audience would be much larger, that's for sure.

And yes, I hear you regarding the weekend issue.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
always try out live stream http://www.livestream.com Users can download an app on their phone to watch, or watch from the CPU, can even watch on their tv with roku. Also, you can Stream from your phone, or get a fancy broadcaster that attaches to a better camera for really good detailed streams.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for those suggestions.
I'll investigate both.

I noticed when attempting to stream live on YouTube experiment today, they led me to Google hangouts. I didn't sign up yet because I need to know if I can broadcast from my phone that way.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts

Harley Craig,

Am i reading correctly? Livestream.com charges 42 a month at its cheapest?

stre.am is free.
Not sure I've never streamed anything on there, but I watched a lot of streams during the Ferguson riots of regular folk streaming from their phones , didn't cost me anything to watch

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice job! Will watch the feed. Like your TBH as well. Hope to build one myself one day. Thanks for sharing the details on your site.
Did you see my brief stream? I had to end it because I had to conduct business on that phone........you know.....the REAL world got in the way....lol.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did you see my brief stream? I had to end it because I had to conduct business on that phone........you know.....the REAL world got in the way....lol.
Yes, and your tour before shutdown. =)

I run many IP cameras, but have not pushed anything public before. If you're serious about a live stream, consider an IP camera. $50-$100 should provide something basic you can run outdoor, 24x7.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I install cameras and security systems for a living.

My whole intent with streaming is to be mobile during cutouts
and walking around yard, etc.

Ip cams generally aren't mobile.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Who is up for me to inspect a hive or two today on a live stream?

Even you folks who don't have the stre.am app can watch me on your desktop or
laptop at https://stre.am/patbeerescuer

How about 11:30 eastern time (half hour from now), I do a live stream?

I will inspect the hive I cut-out the other day from the column and another recent hive I cut out. Both are having to raise queens.
I need to inspect to make sure they are building queen cells and are free of SHBs.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My 11 year old son and I enjoyed the inspection.
Thanks so much for tuning in !!!!

So did you watch from a laptop/desktop or from the phone app?

Any suggestions as far as improving the broadcast experience?

No need to comment on my beekeeping.....probably too many issues to mention...lol

·
Registered
122 Posts
We used an iPhone at first. I tried the computer but that didn't work till about half way through.

During the first part of the stream, I was hearing an echo. It sounded like it was coming from the other phone that you were checking the broadcast with.

We started beekeeping this Spring with top bar hives. We got our first package in late April. Most of the package absconded and we lost the queen. We bought another package from same supplier and now they seem to be doing fine. We have about 10 bars with a growing colony.

Last Friday we caught a swarm at a friends house. They have had a wild bee hive in there stone chimney for many years and have a swarm almost every year. We took a quick look at the swarm Tuesday and they were already building several combs. We hope to transfer the bees from the top bar nuc to the full top bar hive in the next few days.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We used an iPhone at first. I tried the computer but that didn't work till about half way through.

During the first part of the stream, I was hearing an echo. It sounded like it was coming from the other phone that you were checking the broadcast with.

We started beekeeping this Spring with top bar hives. We got our first package in late April. Most of the package absconded and we lost the queen. We bought another package from same supplier and now they seem to be doing fine. We have about 10 bars with a growing colony.

Last Friday we caught a swarm at a friends house. They have had a wild bee hive in there stone chimney for many years and have a swarm almost every year. We took a quick look at the swarm Tuesday and they were already building several combs. We hope to transfer the bees from the top bar nuc to the full top bar hive in the next few days.
That's wonderful news. Welcome to the top bar beekeeping cult...lol.

I just pray your hives can get enough strength this summer to overwinter there in PA.

Yes, the echo was from the other phone I was using as a monitor. I will no longer allow that audio to bleed through. Thanks for confirming that was a problem.

Was the focus on the comb and lighting decent enough? It's very, very tough to see the screen of the phones well enough outside
to know for sure what you all are seeing.

Thanks so much for the input and I wish you very much luck with your new hives/bees.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts