Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I'm a second year, had two hives only one came through the winter. I have a brood problem, I'm worried its AFB but it does not show all the signs. I did teh rope test with a small stick and nothing roped out of the cell. The hive does not have an odor to it. However I have a lot of brown brood in the cells with unhatched brood around it. Some brood not fully capped. I've only seen pictures of what it looks like none in person so I don't know what to look for.

I don't see scaling either and the capped cells are not sunk in. If its not AFB what else would it be?

http://s640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/joshob/Something%20wrong/

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Chapter 8, page 108 in the booklet First Lessons in Beekeeping updated by Delaplane will help you with good solid information and photos.
It's a Dadant publication
ISBN 978-0-915698-12-7

Ernie

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have posted photos in my original post. I hope it's clear enough.

Could it possibly be sacbrood disease instead of AFB?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
AFB kills in the prepupal stage or the pupal stage. This means after the cells are capped. This looks like EFB or chilled brood. Terra still works for EFB. If they were chilled.....the bees have a lot of cleaning to do. Why they didn't keeep the brood warm is the real question if it's chilled brood. Did you split or reverse this colony? Parasitic Mite Syndrome is another way to think but would occur if you are overloaded with mites.

dickm

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you split or reverse this colony? if you are overloaded with mites.

dickm
No mites, 2nd year hive, no split. Was hoping it would build up well in the spring. I'm leaning towards sacbrood from the pictures I have seen on the net and read on M. Bush's site.

·
Registered
706 Posts
spotty brood, healthy looking brood mixed with pollen might have a weak queen.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
It's hard to see in your pics but it looks like the dead larva are twisting(spiral on cell wall). If that is what they are doing it would be EFB. Chilled brood will lay in the bottom of the cell and not spiral. Treat with Terramycin if the larva are spiraled. If you treat don't have honey supers on and give enough time after treatments before supering. You might have to do some swarm control to allow for enough time to lapse before supering again. Don't give any of those frames to another colony until it is all cleared up.

·
Registered
792 Posts
You definitely have a serious brood problem. In addition to the uncapped cell problems, I also see sunken, greasy looking capped brood which can be a sign of AFB. Terramycin will hide the symptoms but not cure them. Don't use it until you know conclusively what is going on.
EFB and AFB often go hand in hand.
Call your state apiarist or nearby Master Beekeeper asap to get an expert eye on the scene. If you can't get anyone, you can send a 4" x 4" section of brood comb (no honey, but larvae or scale is good) to Beltsville Bee Lab. (wrapped in newspaper and sent to the address on their website, you can get the address from google.)
In the meantime, restrict all entrances down to one small entrance to prevent robbing in the yard and don't open the hive to inspect again until you get someone there to help. You don't want robbing/drifting in the meantime.

Sorry to see your bees aren't well but good for you in thinking and diagnosing the problem instead of spreading the problem by "equalizing" hives.

Best to you and your bees,
-Erin

·
Registered
175 Posts
Looks like EFB, the fourth pic is that pollen on the left?, you will see that only some of the brood are affected there are some that are immune, your choices are do nothing and they will probably clean it up themselves or as soon as the queen runs out of that sperm from that drone that is susceptible to EFB, pinch off the queen when they make another they will choose a survivor egg and you will have a resistant hive and in the interim they will have time to clean the hive before the new queen starts laying, it is transmissible on your gloves and hive tools you can use alcohol on your tools and soap and water on your gloves, you should do what you feel is best for you, with only one hive, that is a hard one to call, what is the percentage of infected brood if it is small I would wait, if it is large I would go to the feed store and buy the antibiotic, but keep in mind this will occur again, next time you will have more hives and you can experiment a little :D good luck
Bob

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well,

We have good inspectors here. Thanks for taking a look.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Sacbrood is not common. It's hard to tell from a picture but easy if you have the frame in your hand. The cocoon the larva spins as pupation begins, remains intact and the process cannot go forward. The infected brood can be removed in one sack.

dickm

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Did you check for mite levels? This looks like PMS to me (parasite mite syndrome). It does not look like AFB, EFB, nor sacbrood to me. If your mite loads are high, that would explain it. However, many folks have seen serious virus issues in hives without a lot of mites.

There is no recommended treatment for this syndrome. However, some people have had good results feeding terramycin to colonies in early spring, it seems to give them a boost (probably knocks down harmful bacterial levels). Not everyone agrees with giving antibiotics to animals as a stimulant, I know.

If the mite levels are high, I suggest trying to knock them back with powdered sugar or a "soft" miticide (not Apistan nor CheckMite). You are lucky this is spring, they may recover. Good luck!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have just sent the pics to my state inspectors. Maybe they will come onsite or give their opinion. Hopefully more to follow. Trying to get a local queen, everyone is behind this year because of the late cold weather.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts