Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed for a little while now, that a few pupae workers(eyes are dark), being drug out of the hive and deposited or flown away. I have checked the ones that I can get away from the forest floor scavengers, no mature mites, no foul smell, an occasional possible deformed wing.(hard to tell) Not significant numbers so I don't feel concerned. Pupae die sometimes. I want to assume this is a good trait in that the workers are in tune to the pupae. Is this a right step towards VSH?? This hive was a swarm that came out of no where into an empty hive at my house. I didn't have bees here at the house till they came along.
Happy Fouth,,,,,Marathon "The Revolution" on Military Channel.:D
Rick in SoMd

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
It seems you are having a lot of hot weather in your area; sometimes temperatures have been close to 100 F. and the next couple days are the same. How long have you been having this warm weather?

How big is the hive? How large is the main entrance now? Are they bearding outside the hive in the evening? Even though it is "not significant numbers", at those temperatures you should provide additional ventilation by putting a shim under the outer cover if you can.

The only time I saw bees taking out pupae is during a heat wave of weather.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks OB
That's probably it. Last 3 weeks, off and on,mostly on, 90 +. Two deeps brood and one empty lang because of the heat. Some bearding.
I'll shim the inner cover.
Rick from SoMd

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Looks like Oldbee has the right idea. You could always turn your cover sideways, which would give them lots of ventilation, as long as it isn't going to rain.

Or you may want to stagger your supers so that the second one overhangs the first one towards the front. And then prop the cover up w/a stick.

First thing I thought of was heat and derth.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hmmm... check for SHB. A friends hive was being overrun and we saw this behavior before the queen left, the hive went broodless, and she had to re-queen.

·
Registered
536 Posts
"I have noticed for a little while now, that a few pupae workers(eyes are dark), being drug out of the hive and deposited or flown away"

LOL I love this sentence I love how you put the word drug in there it's very catchy I think I'm going to be using it now! :D

frazz

·
Registered
507 Posts
I was sitting right next to my hive watching the girls come and go, collecting pollen and nectar when I noticed a bee dragging out a pupae that was almost completely tranformed into a bee. She had wings and was moving about but the worker bee was dragging her out of the hive. She flew to the ground and left the pupae there on the ground. I examined the bee and could see not mites, no deformed wings, etc.

I'm curious too.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Conjugate Drag::cool: Proper

Today I drag
Yesterday dragged
Tomorrow I will drag
I have been dragging

SoMd Good Ol' Boy Talk
The workers Drug the pupae out of the hive,,,,,,,,,,,:D:D:
I thought I was speaking the language of the Natives,,,,,,,,,,,,Apparently not::D

Rick from Good O'l Southern Maryland

1 - 10 of 10 Posts