Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will this work. Have a hive with at least one drone laying worker. If I shake the hive out in the yard about 50 feet away from the hive location, will that reliably keep the laying worker from making it back to the hive.

I am thinking of adding a frame of capped brood tomorrow and giving them till late in the week or next weekend. Then do the shake outand place a frame in there with eggs or young brood.

But will a shake out work in getting the laying worker out of the hive.

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
It sure will. The laying worker wont make it back to the hive. As for waiting for the shakeout... Why? The colony already knows it is not queen right. It is only going to prolong it another week. Shake them out, when the bees are back in the hive give them the frame of new eggs and you should be O.K.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I fought with a laying worker a couple years ago, tried everything. We started by doing the 'frame of brood' trick for 3 weeks in a row. They never started a cell. Next we shook them out some distance away, and give them a frame with young brood and eggs. They still didn't start a cell. Finally, I tried something in desparation after weeks of fussing. I was going thru the hive next door, which was bursting with bees, and on the first frame I pulled up, there she was, a queen. I placed that frame, complete with bees and queen into the laying worker hive, which I had shook out no more than 10 minutes earlier. Two months later we had another booming hive. In hindsight, our timing was perfect, totally by accident, we pulled the queen from the strong hive only a few days before the blackberry flow ramped up. We got a good queen, and 3x as much honey as any of the other hives out of the deal from that one. Hindsight tells us, it was a perfectly timed cut down split.

I fought with that laying worker hive for weeks trying to rescue it that summer. The lesson we took away from that is, not worth the bother. Next time we see a laying worker, it's just going to get combined with a queenright hive, and then we will split the result once the combine has taken. It's a much easier way to solve the problem.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
A frame a week for 3 weeks is 3 frames. That is a split. Do it all at once and be done with it. Get your nuc going and put the laying queen over the hive for a combine. Even better shake them out and remove the hive. They will go somewhere and go to work there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts