Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I knew an early capped cell was to emerge soon and I wanted to use one of the extra cells to make another small split. I went in the split today and was lucky to actually see the cell hatching. The bees acted like it was a queen and were helping chew the capping. I used my hive tool to open it and out ran what looked to me like a worker. I lost site of it after that and I didn't see the bees cluster or anything. not much later I saw a bee carrying another bee out of the hive and stinging it to death. I assume that was the worker or under developed queen that I saw. I ended up taking one of the cells out for the other split and left the other capped cell and one cup. I hope I get at least one good queen but now I am a bit worried.

My question is, is it possible for a queen cell to contain a worker? Seems like it could happen, I just thought it was odd.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Virgin queens are much smaller than mated queens and they are similarly sized to a worker. I woul,'t assume that the bees flying out of the hive stinging each other were the queen that just hatched as the virgin queen can't even fly for a few days after she emerges. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was watching some vids and I think I may have actually seen a worker cleaning out the queen cell and not the queen at all. What I first saw was the stinger of the bee and not the head sticking out a small hole which I thought was strange. I may have missed the queen entirely. I'll give it a week and see if I have a laying queen.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts