Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have one of those portable 10x10 canopies and work their bees when it might be raining? I have a FT job and sometimes my schedule keeps me from getting to the hives when it is nice, and the day I have scheduled to work them is raining. I'm not talking about thunderstorms, just a drizzle or a consistent rain.

Is this something anyone does? And are there any downsides to doing this?

Woot.com has a canopy for pretty cheap at http://tools.woot.com/offers/home-innovation-pop-up-canopy-your-choice.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Long as it isn't cold and the rain isn't getting into the hive, doesn't really hurt the bees to do an inspection in the rain.

It might hurt *YOU* considering that if its raining you're going to have every single bee they've got there in the hive, which means a lot more bees to potentially tick off that might try to sting you if you do something wrong, but other than that.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thanks, yes, I know they'll all be there, but sometimes the schedule dictates otherwise. Would always want to open them up on a sunny mid-day if possible. I'd also minimize the work to do in the rain (i.e., not inspect every frame).

·
Registered
70 Posts
I work with Africanized bees in the tropics and we get a lot of rain, I have worked my bees several times in the rain and as long as they are wet, they don't fly! I would worry more about the temperature and not open the hives if it's cold, you know your area better than I do. But as for wet, no problem. No reason to lug more equipment around no mater how cheap it might be.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
one of the problems I had while doing this was usually when its raining, its windy here. The canopy works but it will blow away. But Im guessing youd not likely be working the bees in those worsening conditions

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
Canopy or no canopy, the bees won't be happy on a rainy day. I work them often on rainy days, not because I want to, but because queen rearing won't wait for good weather... If it's Monday, I have a particular set of things I have to do, rain or shine, another set on Tuesday...

If I don't "have to" work bees on a rainy day, I don't.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ditto the cranky bees thing, but I have actually set up a canopy to do just like you said, it worked just fine.

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
Strong colony with a lot of field bees are gonna hurt you. A cell builder with lots of baby bees is less of a problem. Small populations are a smaller problem. But a big colony on a raining wet day Is going to explain to you that you are not entirely welcome. I have worked bees in the rain but you only do it if you have no other options.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts