Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the Apricot treees were blooming a few days back, so I decided to take a peek in my hives. ALL HIVES were already honeybound and I had to add a super box and open the brood nest on them. Lucky none of them swarmed. Something is flowing, that's for sure. I suspect it is the Maple or maybe cottonwood trees since nothing else is really bloomed out and apricot just started. Gonna be an early honey flow around these parts!

Oh, and those bees are some kind of pissed off since they are loaded with honey. They let you know they don't want you there, that's for sure.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Paul,

Thanks for the heads up. With the mild winter here (PA) I'm wondering if the same could happen. I was even thinking of doing some swarm prep earily on a warm day but worry about distrubing them / manuipulation and then what another cold snap might do to them.

Any of your northerners doing inspections / manipulations earily due to mild winter?

Tell Ringo we said hello.
:applause:

Thanks,

MP

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
I don't think I have to worry for a while. About six weeks til dandlions I reckon. Could have willow and such pretty soon if they haven't been de-budded by all the prolonged warm ups and then cold crashes to normal. I would kill for an apricot tree!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Paul,
I'm about 100 miles due west of you in New Philadelphia, Oh. It was just shy of 70 yesterday and I took a look in my hive in the back yard.

Found the queen on the first brood frame I pulled. Not a lot of activity yet, but I did see a little drone brood on one frame. I sawa lot of both light yellow (probably maple?) and gray/white pollen arriving. With the pollen here I'd think brood production should kick into high gear soon.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I helped a neighbor check his hive today. It was bursting at its seams. We had to dig a super out and put it on. The girls were hauling pollen in like it was mid summer. I second the motion, if you live in the south.... check your hives.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, my hives are absolutely bursting with bees - a stupefying amount of them. Totally nuts for March 1st. This will be their second season. The last was a bust because of dry weather and they fact that they were not going good until the flow stopped in June (because of the dry weather).

I have a feeling I will be harvesting in April for a second go round.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I live in northern PA next to Lake Erie. the Maples have not opened yet, but are getting close. I noticed the first poplar trees opened up yesterday and some willows also. Last year the willows did not open until the beginning of April.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Haven't been able to do a full inspection yet since the days I'm able to are invariably windy, cold, or wet so far, but there are bits of greenish and pink pollen on the tray of my SBB and they are flying like crazy. Also bits of wax indicating they are busy on at least 7 frames, so I need to get in there as soon as I can.

Very early spring this year, we will have Bradford Pears in bloom in a week or two at this rate, and the bees are busy on the maples and deadnettle. Crocus up, daffodils starting to bloom, etc. about a month early.

Time to get out into the garden too -- while the bees sure like the deadnettle, I want to get rid of it in the veggie patch! Probably a job for Mr. Roundup, eh? At least Mr Shovel anyway.

Peter

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Looked in on some of mine yesterday and some nectar is being stored here - tons of pollen. A little bit of light tan wax - not white wax though. Today it's raining though, so the big populations and brood are also consuming a lot of the nectar that is coming in. Everything seems a bit early to me - for what that's worth.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here in Sumter SC, I have the Red Maples just about finished up with their bloom, and the Plums, Cherries, and Crabapples are just starting to bloom nicely. Hives are busting at the seams and already have up to 3 supers on some hives.

Dixie,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts