Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shopping around for wooden nuc boxes, and thought I'd drop in here to see what other people's experiences and preferences were with them.

The prices seem to vary between 19,95$ and, well, usually under 45,00$. Most are in the 30-40$ range, made of pine, and have finger joints. A few are made of cypress or are rabbeted.

At the lower end of the price scale, we have GloryBee Foods (19,95$), Rossman Apiaries (24,25$), Beeyond Wonderful (25,95$), and Golden Bee (27,49$). As most of these also sell individual parts, and don't have the same prices for each, mix-matching could get me one for 19,50$.

Have you tried these out? What were your impressions?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
We take a sheet of ply and transform it into 4 nucs...works great.

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
833 Posts
Yeppers, the dcoates five frame nucs made from 1/2" plywood are the cats meow. I have about 20 floating around.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Go 8 frame deeps. Room for a feeder and room to grow. For me they are the same price as a five frame nuc. I switched over to to them this year..bought 500.
If you start nucs out with less frames, just use a follower board.

Below-5 frame nuc no room to grow/with interior feeder

·
Super Moderator
11,146 Posts
The D. Coates style nuc has free plans posted in the Build-It-Yourself area here:
http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yourself/5-frame-nuc-d-coates-version/

A key feature of these nuc plans is that aside from the 4 nucs from one sheet as mentioned by WBVC above, there is no dado cuts or router required for the frames rests with these plans. All cuts can be made with an ordinary portable handheld circular saw.

Don't forget to use Titebond glue! :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Have 1 each Dadant and Rossman cypress. Both have telescoping covers. Dadant pine box has SBB. Have super for the Rossman (not kidding, nuc sized + queen excluder) and landing board. And that wood slatted thingy we never have used (Rossman).

Wifey bought the Rossman @ Southern Ag Expo couple of months before she went to the Bee College so she could watch a video on how to work in a hive before she went to school. Was perfect size for her and had evrrything a normal hive would have. Didnt ask how much, really didnt want to know. REALLY.

Had my buddy paint the Dadant for me (and 2 deeps) I had bought on my first trip there. About 6 months after she bought hers.

The Cypress looked nice at first showing the wood grain, now has faded to dull gray/brown. Guess when I shift the swarm out of it and into 10 frame, will give it some lovin. Maybe after I build the 6 supers first, lol.

Both have held up fine to rolling around in trunk of car. The white painted Dadant just looks better. Zero issues otherwise.

Will be buying more nucs before next spring. Probably from Rossman. Generally cypress wood holds up longer here in Florida's heat and humidity combined with empty time and bugs not named Apis M.

Definately will paint them first. Suggest you do also, no matter which way you go with them. Good luck

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
.....As most of these also sell individual parts, and don't have the same prices for each, mix-matching could get me one for 19,50$.....
When you mix and match, check on the dimensions first. I was surprised to get Nuc inner covers that were half an inch narrower than the mannlake Nucs I put them on (after modification). Lauri is wise....All my hives are 8 frame.

Lauri, I'd like to see a picture of your follower boards. :)

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Plywood would definitely be cheaper, but doesn't sound durable, and I'm not equipped with a shop to chop all that wood.

Thanks for the tip regarding matching sizes. I wasn't really planning on doing so (50 cents cheaper only and then have to deal with customs over and over? urgh...), but hadn't thought of that potential issue.

Lauri, where do you get your 8-framers?

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
If you have a skill saw. You can make plywood Nucs. I like to take a piece of ply wood cut a piece about two inch wide. Fasten that piece to a piece that is wider than your base of your saw. Now you have a sled to cut long straight pieces. A couple of spring clamps and start cutting away. Take note of the factory edge your saw need to ride agains that. Your first cut will will trim the sled to size. It will only be good for that saw. 1/4" or 3/8 works good
David

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yeppers, the dcoates five frame nucs made from 1/2" plywood are the cats meow. I have about 20 floating around.
I made 20 last fall. Currently I like the fact I aatached the bottom board. I also drilled a low 1 " entrence and a high 1" vent that I stapled #8 mesh. Time will tell if my modications are great or I wish I hadn't done it

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Lauri, where do you get your 8-framers?
Mann Lake on their Black Friday sale. Paid $8.33 ea.for budget 8 frame deeps in bulk and on sale. They have that sale every year I believe. The deep you see in my photo in the previous post is one of these. I've found the budget grade to be of excellent quality. It has all the wood grain and knots I'm looking for for a stained wood finish. Hand holds on all four sides, another plus over 5 frame nuc box's.

Lee, my follower boards are plywood with a 1/2 x 1/2" stick ( Or any scrap piece) stapled to the top to hold it in place. I'll go out and take a photo. They are very simple.
Here is a thin one in use:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts