Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, Im just getting started in the bee game. I was wondering if anyone knowes any thing about Jasco Brown wood preservative, and if it would be suitable for be hives.

·
Registered
706 Posts
works just fine use it all the time. and then I don't paint my hives. cheap and easy. just let it air out for a while befor you put your bees in it. Oh it also makes the wood look good too.:applause:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information Honey Dreams. I will get my hives treated so they can air out.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Oh when I mean air out I set my hive bodies out in the rain for a few days just to get them smell off but last year I did not have time and just put some bees in one that did not air out and they are ok too. but still let it air out.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I know with total certainty that the UGA beelab does not coat their hives, either outside or in with CN. I also bet (know) that Dr Delaplane would also recommend diluting any CN compound to be used on bee hives.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Speaking of Dr. Keith Delaplane, he had a series on the RFD channel on satelite tv about bee keeping. The best I remember they where eight parts to this show. I only got to see three of the episodes. I would like to see the whole series, if any body knows where to find it. Also I remember in one of the shows I did see, he did recommend coating the inside and outside of bee hives using copper napthenate.

·
Registered
706 Posts
yes he did but has changed his ways just the out side but if it gets in there it will be ok. you can get the video from Brushy mountain or mann lake.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Keep and eye on RFD's web site. They have rerun it every spring for a few years now. I'm guessing they will run it again this year.
BB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts